promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Risk Management or MBA?

My husband is thinking to continue his study but he is not sure what to choose risk management or mba. After what programm he can get higher wages and how easy to find job being a risk manager?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First of "risk management" is a field, not a degree. Risk managers have varied backgrounds. A strong aptitude for finance and math is needed. An MBA in finance is a good idea but without prior experience as a risk analyst or quantitative analyst, you won't get far.

Most risk managers have experience, have an advanced degree from a TOP ranked university, and have good working knowledge of finance and mathematics. (They might have an MBA or a MS/PHD in financial engineering, math, stat, physics, engineering, or computer science)

Certifications such as FRM and PRM are good for risk managers but may not be highly recognized compared to the CFA.

And again an MBA pays huge if you have experience and come from Stanford, Berkeley, or Harvard. You get more networking opportunities, interviews, and calls back. But, if you don't have that, your kinda out of luck. Unlike those from top universities, you have to work your way up. But like I said, it varies by the size and scope or risk within the organization so basically, what pays is going to be tough to get.

There aren't tons of risk management jobs out there. But the ones that are out there, pay huge bonuses and salaries. A lot of the jobs overlap and so its hard to know exactly what is "risk management". Like even traders are risk managers to some extent.

Source(s): I read a lot and have a thing for finance.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.