Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

len asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

SONY 37" KDL-37NL140 1080 LCD. is this worth buying? also if ever what kind of hdtv sony should i get? 37"?

37"- 43" sony hdtv...? can you tell me all about hdtv? what should i get to start it of? what kind of cables?tuners? something so i can start watching my movies with stunning colors... i dont know anything about hdtv's

Favorite Answer

Ok, well it seems that you wouldn't mind if I include the major background info on HDTVs so sorry if I assumed wrong and my post is a little too long (I often do that).

To start, for a tv to be an HDTV the resolution must be at a minimum 720p and includes the ever so popular 1080p. One major thing to note is that on smaller tv's (less than 46 inches), it is very very difficult (often impossible depending on viewing distance) to distinguish between 720p and 1080p. For this reason, people always recomment for smaller sizes, to stick with 720p sets and to save your money. For the TV you are interested in, you probably would not notice a difference if the tv was 720p at 37".

These HDTV's come with digital tuners built into them which mean that if your area receives over the air HD channels, you can plug in and receive HD channels without the use of a cable box. However in many areas, channels have not switched over to digital yet and so quality would be affected if a digital cable box is not purchased. Remember that a tv is only as good as its source which means - buy high quality equipment to connect to your tv. HD cable boxes are now sold that output a whole slew of HD channels.

Onto cables and input/outputs. HDTV's currently come with a variety of inputs which range from HDMI to composite. In general remember this:

HDMI =/> DVI > Component > S-Video > Composite

This is the general formula for cable qualities. Note that HDMI and DVI transmit digitally and thus do not have to be decoded. The main benefit of HDMI over DVI is that HDMI transmits both video and audio; it is a cable hiders dream as you only need to hook up one cable essentially between the source and the TV or source to receiver. DVI however transmits the video but requires audio cables to transmit the audio. These cables can both transmit at the highest resolution (1080p). Component on the other hand is also an HD cable but is analog (has blue, green, red, etc. cables) and transmits up to 720p which as I discussed earlier is still classified as HD (it can carry up to 1080p but many tvs dont support 1080p through component). The rest, s-video, composite, etc. all display at SDTV levels (480i/p).

At the moment, blu-ray players are starting to have an affect on the video market as blu-rays play movies at 1080p resolutions on the tv's, thus utilizing many of the 1080p capable tvs. TV on the other hand does not utilize 1080p as channels output at 720. Many of the newer DVD players and Blu-ray players can upconvert your DVDs to look nicer on HD TV's which can be a benefit as you would get decent picture quality without having to replace your whole DVD collection with Blu rays.

A few tips before buying a TV:

- Go with brand; the better brands (i.e. samsung, sony, LG, etc.) have better imaging processors which means better picture quality regardless of resolution

- Shop smart; just because a 26" tv is 1080p doesn't mean its better than a comparable 26" 720p TV, regardless of what people tell you, don't waste your money buying something not necessary!

- Do NOT be pushed into buying extremely expensive cables; many retailers now make the majority of their profit in the TV department from Cables. It is remarkable and disgusting how much they mark up cables and promise that the cable will make your picture quality better. An HDMI cable from a decent brand with some gold plating/ interference reducing capability is more than enough, no need to go out and purchase the $150 monster HDMI cables.

I think thats about all you need to know in order to go out and make informed purchases. I didn't compare LCD and Plasma technology as thats a whole other bag of tricks but generally:

LCD = good reliable technology, uses low amt of energy, black levels are not true (i.e. can appear washed out or grey), not prone to image-burn in

Plasma = black levels are defined/real, prone to image-burn in if watching static images for a long period of time (i.e. CNN news ticker), superb for movie watching. Pioneer Kuro Elite still ranked the best picture quality out of any model. LCD technology is closing the gap though with the black levels.

You'd be surprised how much more you would know than some best buy/futureshop salesman's with this info lol.

If you didn't enjoy reading my post, I at least hope I provided some sort of knowledge or help to you.

That is one of Sony's low end HDTVs. It is not a 1080p TV but a 720p. At least it does have HDMI and component video connections.

What sort of signal source are you planning to connect to?

Satellite, cable, or antenna

You might consider a blu-ray DVD player, if you are into movies. You should also look at some other TV high def content as most people will not be happy with a high def set showing standard def content.

Since we do not know about your budget, it is hard to make any real suggestions. I would suggest that you also consider Samsung, which is rated very well in a recent Consumer Reports.

You don't need a tuner... this TV has both analog and digital tuners already in it. As for cables, try to get things with HDMI connections, which make hooking everything up so much easier. However, there is no reason to buy an HDMI cable until you have bought the TV and maybe a blu-ray player.

Be careful of Sony. I've looked into them and they are no longer made in Japan and the quality is not as good as they once were. The days of Sony the one and only, are in the rear view mirror. Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp and Mitsubishi make better and cheaper TV's. Compare and do not be in a rush to buy. I know of people who have Sony HDTV and they complain about the picture quality. They have owned the TV new and for under a year.