Mormons: how can you base your entire spiritual life upon the "burning in the bosom"?

It just seems to me that it is an exercise in subjectivity...how can you place so much trust in a "feeling" that you supposedly get? Is it because there is no hard,verifiable evidence for your beliefs that you have to rely on such things? Let's see how many angry,emotional answers I get!

• Sid B
    Favorite Answer

That's a pretty off base question right up there with people who think Mormons have horns.

What your describing is heartburn not the "Holy Ghost" which is what I take it you are referring to. The Holy Ghost causes an overwhelming knowledge that what you are asking is right. I realize it is compared to a burning in the bosom in some places.

Actually a member of the LDS church bases his or her spiritual life on a great many sources. The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine & CCovenants the Pearl of Great Price. Are sScriptures They are also very encouraged to get a secular education. Many more of them are multi lingual than in the average population and adding a language ( I speak 5 so far ) opens new educational opportunities.

Also I have to assume you mean LDS there are over 200 churches which use the name Mormon. Just as there are several versions of most religions. Like most the splits came over minor ddifferencesin doctrinal belief or in beliefs as to who would lead the church. Historically the split of the Catholic Church into Roman and Eastern OOrthodoxwould be ssimilar Which of the two Popes would lead.

I doubt you will bet many angry response from LDS. Laughter perhaps but those I know are very slow to anger.

Source(s): I'm not LDS but you will find they are very willing to share their beliefs. I have read all of their scriptures cover to cover. I have also read most of the world's major scriptures including the Koran, the Buhdist works the Hindu ones some of the chinese ones as well.

Well let us see now. I am not Mormon, but I do see and hear people from all religions basing their whole lives on their belief system. There may not be "burning in the bosom" but there is "burning in the pit of hell"

having the fear of an anti-christ, fearing demons, fearing the end of the world, fearing other people not of same religion, etc. etc.

It sounds to me like you actually don't really know much about the church. It also sounds like you're just trying to get the LDS church members upset.

All I am going to say is, to each their own. I have my own . . maybe you should stick to yours, and leave others believes alone.

All Christians base their beliefs on faith and subjective feelings, not just the LDS.

I just realized that if there was a typo in their name?

and God left out the small (m)

would we all be closer to the truth?

would this question even be required?

would my sanity return if religion disappeared?

or am I just phucked for eternity?

wow, are you saying that all they need is some antacids?

It is the magic underwear that does it.

YOU ARE SP WRONG!!! ANGRY!? EMOTIONAL!? THATS BULL!!! YOU SHOULD GO ROT IN HE*L!!!!! AND WE DONT BASE OUR RELIGION ON THAT!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGRRRRYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

EEEEEMMOOOOTIONALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FIE ON YOU SIR

FIE FIE FIE