Does this make you sick about Black Friday and these crazy people running around looking for the "deal"?

A worker died after being trampled by a throng of unruly shoppers when a suburban Wal-Mart opened for the holiday sales rush Friday, authorities said.

At least three other people were injured.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., in Bentonville, Ark., would not confirm the reports of a stampede but said a "medical emergency" had caused the company to close the store, which is in Valley Stream on Long Island.

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., an hour after the store opened. The cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after 5 a.m., a throng of shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground." Police also said a 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation and three other shoppers suffered minor injuries and were also taken to hospitals.

The dead worker's name was not released.

"Local authorities are looking into the situation," said Wal-Mart representative Dan Fogleman. But he said it would be "inappropriate for me to share any additional information" until authorities investigate further.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late. The Valley Stream Wal-Mart usually opens at 9 a.m.

-------

I just find it appalling that this would happen.

Favorite Answer

I feel the same way as you do!!! What has CHRISTMAS COME TO?

To see GROWN adults pushing people out of their way, and lining up at 3 a.m. just to get a sale!!!!

I just about cried when I heard that the poor worker

died. He was only 34!

The grieve sickens me. Truly sickens me.

• I THINK IT'S CRAZY!! Who would wait outside of Best Buy[ or any store] all night long just to be one of the 1st people to get in the store? I bet the workers at the stores that opened at 5 a.m. were so mad that they had to get up a extra hour or two early!! And those same crazy people who waited in tents outside the store like they were on a camping trip are going to have something to remember when they feel a pain in there arms from busting those doors open and a headache from remembering when they stepped on someone/someones fingers from trampling over the workers!! WOW! What people would do for an I-Pod, clothes, and games!

This case is absolutly appalling. I love Black Friday and am one of the ones you see out in front of the store at about 1 or 2 am. I have never know of anyone to standpee a store and even strach anyone. I think that the people in the line should be arrested for manslaughter. After all they were the reason she died.

How awful. I went out on Black Friday one time, years ago, and vowed never again. It's crazy. Not only that, I feel sorry for the people who have to work at the stores. Imagine the day after Thanksgiving having to get up like 3 in the morning to go to work and deal with rude, obnoxious people. No way. There will be deals after Black Friday--and probably better ones at that.

I hurt for this man's family and I wonder how many of the perpetrators will have the courage to turn themselves in.

I find it frightening: it happened in a place of public gathering, there was a group of angry people acting in a trance, enduring long hours of torments in order to reach (low-price) heaven, nirvana or whatever. There is this unwilling victim who stood in the way and got trampled, in some other period of history, he could have been stoned or sent to deportation camp, but the most chilling is that the next Monday it seems like nothing happened. The whole thing stinks of human sacrifice, sorry to use these words but that is how it feels.

This story really puts the 'Black' in Black Friday. I think I could understand this happening if there was a fire in the store, and in the chaos and hysteria, people just start trampling and stomping on each other in this happening. But it wasn't a fire! It's really shocking that sale prices could lead to this tragedy. This story is depressing. It makes me feel sad that people could trample on someone for what appears to be trivial things.

Just another example of how self absorbed we have become as a culture. People are more interested in getting little Johnny the new video game than the safety of others. I hope they arrest everyone that was involved and charge them with every crime committed, breaking and entering and manslaughter at the least.

• V

It is utter madness, I always make it point NOT to go shopping on Black Friday. It ruins the idea of Christmas really.

OMG IT UPSETS ME SO MUCH!!!!!!! seriously...to just get ten dollars off a damn item, people are literally willing to kill people. and that pregnant lady....found out...she lost the baby!!!

and in toys r Us....two gurls were argueing...and one boyfriend brought into and one of em brought out a gun. and two were found dead!!!!

last yr i was in line, first one there actually. on black friday to Belk....and i was being smooshed inbetween a BIG guy and a door. and my purse was WAY behind me and i was hurt.

sigh. people dont care anymore. its so depressing. grown people. *shakes head*

so rediculous. i wish they would seriously BAND black friday. have everything closed for thursday and friday!!!

Yes! BLACK FRIDAYYY is terrible!

i dont even know why there has to be a particular day to shop for "deals"

for the holiday. I dont get it, i feel horrible for those people that are dead because of those people. None of my family shop on black fridayy.