A new career choice? Is this a phase?

All my life I have wanted to be an environmental engineer. But for over a year now, I have wanted to be a racehorse jockey. I have looked into a racing college, gathered plenty of facts, lost some weight, strength trained, and talked to my parents about my choice. They insist this is only a phase.

What do you think? Is this a phase? Should I pursue my "new" dream? How can I convince my parents this is not a phase and get their support?

...I have owned and worked with horses since I was nine. I have lots of experience riding English and have trained one colt to ride.

Favorite Answer

Having different dreams at different times is only natural. We search ourselves at certain ages and find new things within us, new desires and new goals. Seeing that your two choices are very much different, what I would do if I were you is search myself for the bigger goal that stands behind those two dreams.

I would ask myself "What can I contribute to the world as an environmental engineer? Do I care about contributing to the world? Will having contributed to a greater cause make me fulfilled or is it of no importance to me?"

I would ask myself the same questions about the other career. Analyze what my life might be like later, what I would do after college, set some main goals for the next 5 or 10 years (i.e. what I would like to achieve in 5-10 years).

If you have a plan, and if you really want this career and know what it truly is you will be able to make that kind plan, talk to your parents and give them the key points of your plan so they can see that it's not just a phase, but that you have set real goals and know what you are headed for. I believe that if you use this kind of approach you wil do two things:

1) while searching yourself for the answers to the above questions, you will most probably be able to see what you really want

2) you will show to your parents that the attitude you have is a well thought one and that your approach is mature, which is bound to get you their support.

Whatever you decide to choose I wish you plenty of luck and success.

Do you have any experience of riding a racing horse and racing it? I think you should try it before making any decisions, preferably with your parents concent to follow this program.

And if not become an engineer.