Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do you think the Christian Right is dividing America?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2Hyiitpys

Youtube thumbnail

The first part of the video claims that the Christian Right is dividing America. Do you think this is true - why or why not? Also, if you watch the video, what do you think about the radio show hosts and listeners comments?

DD, I agree. There are many factors in this division. I'm just repeating this video and wanted to hear the responses.

Favorite Answer

No, rather the Christian Right is dividing the Republican Party and is sending countless economic conservatives (such as yours truly) to the Democratic party (sadly).

I'm a registered Republican because I believe in states rights, a small federal government, individual liberty, and individual responsibility.

It seems we lost the old Republican Party, the truly GRAND party, the party of Abe Lincoln the moment the party hopped in bed with the Evangelical, Pat Robertson "Moral Majority". (and as a Catholic it sickens me to see some Fundie Catholics hop right in along with them whilst these same Evangelicals refer to us as "Romanists", "Papists", "cult members" and "Pope worshipers").

I can no longer sympathize with a party that is so antithetical to its founding principles, that spends as much money as its democrat counterparts, that has expanded the powers of the federal executive branch. I can no longer sympathize with a party that finds preemptive war, people's sex lives, and religious dominionism to be more important than a growing deficit, a dwindling number of science grads, illegal immigration and economic outsourcing.

The truly Republican party died 15-20 years ago.

Source(s): Catholic "Republican"

Not so much dividing America as destroying christianity!!

The churches are emptying more each year as people are driven away by the antics of the fundamentalists!!

Christian Fundamentalist is a complete contradiction in terms!!

CHRISTIAN – A follower or believer in Jesus.

FUNDAMENTALIST One who believes the Bible is literally true and must be followed exactly.

Therefore they are followers of the bible and not Jesus making them non Christians!!!

But worse is to follow it also makes them ideologists.

IDEOLOGY An idea that is false or held for the wrong reasons but is believed with such conviction as to be irrefutable.

So Christians have a loving and forgiving god and fundamentalist - well - Just are not Christians!!!!

not only America, but the whole world

the video is downright frightening...breeding hate and fear

there should be a law against shameless brainwashing of children...it is not fair

the world is currently being divided by America and its anti terrorism rhetoric and negative targeting and stereotyping of people of middle eastern and islamic origins (for eg representing them as the baddies in popular media - movies always show Americans as 'heroes' fighting such people) as well as the outrageously negative political comments that come from idiots like Bush

America incites fear and hatred towards people from other religions and America must shoulder its responsibility in the current escalation of global violence

but America is always aiming to whitewash themselves and lay the blame elsewhere

and using what others are doing to excuse / explain their own actions...as my mother used to say "Just because others jump off a cliff is that any good reason for you to do it too?"

I am terrified by what religion does to people...let's get rid of religion and just all be one people under the sun and the moon

I didn't bother with the video - but I do believe that there are divisive forces at work in the United States. Most of them exist at the ends of the political spectrum on either side of the fence.

Fortunately, there are a lot more of us wandering around in the middle, jumping back and forth across the fence.

No. Religious freedom is one of the core principles upon which America was founded. I know you liberal antitheists love to point at Jesus Camp and try to use it to prove not only that Christians are the only extremists who are trying to force their views, but go so far as to say that ALL Christians are doing so, but there are just as many Zeitgeist fanboys like you who charge big bad religion with being the root cause of all evils in the world while claiming atheists do nothing but good.

A combination of the far Right (Christian and non-Christian) and the far Left are what's dividing America. Let's not lump all the blame on one group when there are multiple groups and factors dividing the playing field.

I would suggest the opposite is true. It is those who are trying to force new changes who are dividing. Notice the split is new. So how could those who have been believing as they have be the cause.

They both don't understand the other and that whats causing division, but I truly believe that people should stop relying on another entity, and rely on themselves.

Google "Wedge Strategy".

lets see the fundamentalist right has been divisive over:

abortion

gay marriage

evolution

immigration

foreign policy

5 things thought of in 10 seconds.