At what age can a baby use....?

A bike seat??

I want to start riding my bike with my daughter...she is 9.5 months...is she old enough? Or is should I wait? What age is ok?

Best Answer

At an absolute bare minimum the child has to be able to wear a bike helmet, which means their neck must be strong enough to support the weight. That happens at about 1 year of age and parents are advised to discuss it with their pediatrician -though I do not actually believe that pediatricians or family doctors have *any* training in this.

In some places (NY for example) it is the law that no child under age 1 be attached to a bike in any way.

http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm

Nobody we have met in the injury prevention field recommends taking an infant of less than 12 months in a bicycle child seat, trailer, sidecar or any other carrier. Nobody. And we do not either.

New York state law prohibits it. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission thinks it is dangerous to take a child under one year on a bicycle, and here is their rationale:

Maurice Keenan, MD, from the American Academy of Pediatrics [21], requested that a minimum age of 1 year be reflected on the label for helmets intended for children under age 5. This would better convey the message that infants (children under age 1) should not be passengers on a bicycle under any circumstance.

The Commission agrees with the commenter that children under 1 year of age should not be on bicycles. Children are just learning to sit unsupported at about 9 months of age. Until this age, infants have not developed sufficient bone mass and muscle tone to enable them to sit unsupported with their backs straight. Pediatricians advise against having infants sitting in a slumped or curled position for prolonged periods. This position may even be exacerbated by the added weight of a bicycle helmet on the infant’s head. Because pediatricians recommend against having children under age 1 as passengers on bicycles, the Commission does not want the certification label to imply that children under age 1 can ride safely.

Source: 16 CFR Part 1203 Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets; Final Rule, page 11726

That explains why you will not find a child helmet on the market sized for a tiny tot. You certainly do not want to ride with a bare-headed child, and in some places it is illegal. In fact, several states have laws against taking children under one year of age on a bicycle, even with a helmet.

Parents love their babies and love their bicycles, so it is natural to want to put the two together. That thought occurs to every bicycling parent, generally before the child is born. We see messages on the Internet indicating that some parents do put their children in baby seats of one design or another and take them along on trailers starting as young as five weeks. Others use a baby backpack. At slightly older ages, people use front or rear-mounted child seats. A few (mostly in the UK) use sidecars. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. A disclaimer: our purpose here is to highlight the risks. We are hearing more now about undiagnosed brain injuries, with symptoms too subtle for doctors to detect in a clinical setting, but very real to families. And that comes to mind whenever someone asks us about babies and biking. We worry about your six-week-old entering the first grade six years from now with a small but detectable mental handicap. That is alarmist; this is an alarmist page!

For an official US Government view, we have excerpts from the Consumer Product Safety Commission's age-related guidelines for ride-on toys.

It is ok whenever you feel like it is ok. She is your baby, and I am sure you know best when is going to be a good time. Mommy knows best :) I saw some tricycles that they sell even for the smallest kids. Is she waking yet? I suggest just buying her a tricycle, putting her in it, and go with the flow. If she enjoys it, go ahead. If not, wait a little and try again later. I think it's never too early to do something with a baby, especially if it's riding a bike. I'm sure she'll like it a lot!

I did this and it worked for me and my 3 kids. When they were able to sit up on their own and hold their own bottle I started introducing a sippy cup. The bottle only had formula in it and the sippy would have water or juice. Unless it was hot and they need to keep hydrated then they had a bottle of water/juice. They make a mess at first and you really have to help them out then they get the handle of it and then you can start taking the bottles away. By the time they were 1 all the bottles were thrown away. They got to watch me do it and said bye bye. That is what worked for me, my boys were a bit harder to pick this up but it still worked. Also my kids were sleeping threw the night and never went to bed with a bottle, well maybe sometimes but very very rare. Good luck

As long as she can support her head and neck properly, she should be fine for shorter trips. You might want to go when she is awake, as her head might "flop" around a bit if she falls asleep. Babies don't support their necks and heads very well when asleep, and too much bouncing around then wouldn't be good for her. Casual bike rides would be ok though. Don't forget to secure her properly, and a helmet is a must. Happy bike riding xx

A consumer report says:

"Don't buy a bicycle trailer or a bicycle-mounted seat until your baby is at least 1 year old. We don't recommend bicycle trailers and bicycle-mounted seats for children younger than that because they may not be physically equipped to withstand the forces they'll be exposed to when riding in a bicycle seat or trailer. And when they're younger than age 1, they can't support their head properly with a helmet on, which all riders should wear."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/bab...

I know people who have safely used a trailer and a bike mounted seat before 12 months.

9.5 months sounds a little young maybe wait a few more months?? So much change happens in those months! :)

Have you seen those little trailers that they have these days that you attatch to the back of the bike?? They look great and safe! You can put toys in there and everything!! lol

Im getting myself a bike and one of those trailers for christmas! Yes i said getting myself! My husband is useless!

She's old enough. I rode with my son when he was 9 months. He was scared at first. Start by just walking the bike around with him in the seat.

Don't buy one of those carriers you haul behind your bike. For one thing they are pain in the butt and so many parents end up riding in the road since it's hard to ride on sidewalks with them (especially if there are pedestrians and other bike riders). Riding in the road dragging that huge thing behind you is so dangerous. I came over a hill on a road once and almost hit a family hauling those stupid things behind them because I couldn't see them until I had already made it over the hill. They are a huge nuisance and aren't safe. Parents are so obsessed with keeping their kids safe yet they'll drag their kids behind their bicycles in the road with cars whizzing past them.

My recommendation would be to try it out walking your bike around with her in the bike seat and see how it works. If it works well - go for it!

i believe ur talking about using one of those baby bike seats that goes onto ur bike? i think the age is 1yr old and they have to wear a helmet to

• mom

Yes, like every one else says you should wait. If you got one of those carrier things that attaches to your bike (the ones that ride behind your bike) then I'm sure you would be able to use that sooner.

Source(s): mom of 2