.
. asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Would this be safe for newborn to sleep on air mattress technique?

Is an air mattress safe for a newborn or baby to sleep on? Air mattresses are pretty firm and I havent found a link with that to sids so Idk. I am not planning on my baby to be permantely sleeping on an air mattress but I was thinking sometimes if I take my baby over to my boyfriends if it would be safe to place him in something like a portable infant travel bed and place that infant travel bed on a mini air mattress sofa for babies instead of placing the infant bed on the floor.

OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT YOU GUYS KEEP SAYING AN AIR MATTRESS IS GOING TO DEFLATE WHILE THE INFANT TRAVEL BED IS ON TOP OF IT IS THERE ANY OTHER DANGER?

ANd would you guys suggest that instead of placing the infant travel bed on the air mattress it would be safer to place it on the floor then?

Favorite Answer

No, air mattresses are not safe for a baby to sleep on at all. Even though they look firm and seem firm to you, they aren't.

A consumer report says this about babies sleeping on air mattresses:

"since 2002, 16 children have died, mostly infants younger than 8 months, who were placed to sleep on air mattresses. Infants can suffocate in a face-down position on the mattress or when falling into gaps between the mattress and bed frame or adjacent furniture or wall. Air leaks and under-inflation contribute to the risk, but even when properly inflated, air mattresses are too soft for infants to maintain a clear airway."

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/baby/2008/08/air-...

If you're going to be putting your baby in a travel infant bed, why in the heck would you want to put it on an air mattress? Travel beds are designed to be used on a hard, stable surface which an air mattress is not. They are not safe if placed on anything else. A mini air mattress sofa for babies? What?

If you have a travel bed, that is all you need. Putting it on an air mattress won't make it any softer, or any better. It's just kind of stupid.

Get a pack'n'play to keep at your boyfriend's house if you aren't comfortable with using the travel bed on the floor.

Edit: Yes, it is safer to put it on the floor. There wouldn't be a huge problem with putting it up on something (a sofa, the kitchen table, an air mattress just for the purpose of resting it on (?)) while you are right there and watching, but not to be left unattended.

It's not like you're going to step on her or anything if it's on the floor. You're going to know where you put it.

Yes, there are more dangers. Placing the travel bed on top of an air mattress will make it unstable. Heavy traffic, construction, an earth quake, or even walking around can move the air inside of the air mattress and even the mattress itself. Babies also learn to roll around 2 months old. If she were to move at all, she could move the travel bed slightly, which would be enough to topple it over. She might land on the floor, or she might land on the air mattress where she is at a high risk of suffocating.

Baby Air Mattress

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is an air mattress safe for a newborn or baby to sleep on? Air mattresses are pretty firm and I havent found a link with that to sids so Idk. I am not planning on my baby to be permantely sleeping on an air mattress but I was thinking sometimes if I take my baby over to my boyfriends if it would be...

Source(s): safe newborn sleep air mattress technique: https://tr.im/7uFiW

Since 2002, CPSC has received reports of 16 tragic deaths, mostly infants younger than 8 months of age who were placed to sleep on air mattresses: 11 suffocated in a face down position on an air mattress and 5 died due to suffocation after falling into gaps between the mattress and bed frame and mattress and adjacent furniture or wall.

Generic twin-, full-, or queen-sized inflatable mattresses are usually intended for adults and older children. Even properly inflated air mattresses are usually too soft for infants to maintain a clear airway. Air leaks and under-inflation also contribute to incidents.

You're just going to keep asking this until you get the answer you want aren't you? Air matresses can sink, this could cause it to cover your baby's face. Air matresses would make it extremely easy for even a newborn to roll over onto her front, and I'm sure you've found a link with babies lying on their front to sids. So no, you can't do it.

No! It is not safe! Maybe your boyfriend should stay at your place where your baby can sleep in his/her crib or bassinet and sleep safely.

You have already asked this question - and the answer is still no. Buy a pack and play or a travel crib and just set it on the floor.

get a pack and play and if you cant afford one go to the health department or local wic office and tell them- the one in my city buys pack and plays just for that reason and hands the out to needy moms

A NEWBORN BABY would sleep next to me!!! (And I'm a SIX-FOOT Biker 'Nam 'Vet! This is MY child, and I'm going to protect it!) This child will be with you the rest of your life. Can you say this about this boyfriend? Newborn babies, are susceptible to all kinds of things that might harm them. Protect this poor baby!

• just buy yourself a Pack and Play.. you can get them really cheap and could even get second hand.. i have like three because people just kept giving them to me.. i would give you one if you lived near me!