what is scarlet fever?

what is scarlet fever?

• Favorite Answer

Scarlet fever is a disease caused by an exotoxin released by Streptococcus pyogenes. It is characterized by sore throat, fever, a 'strawberry tongue', and a fine sandpaper rash over the upper body that may spread to cover the uvula (Forchheimer spots).

Bright red tongue with a "strawberry" appearance

Characteristic rash, which:

is fine, red, and rough-textured; it blanches upon pressure

appears 12–48 hours after the fever

generally starts on the chest, armpits, and behind the ears

is worse in the skin folds

Pastia lines (where the rash becomes confluent in the arm pits and groins) appear and persist after the rash is gone

The rash begins to fade three to four days after onset and desquamation (peeling) begins. "This phase begins with flakes peeling from the face. Peeling from the palms and around the fingers occurs about a week later ."[1] Peeling also occurs in axilla, groin, and tips of the fingers and toes.[2]

Diagnosis of scarlet fever is clinical. The blood tests shows marked leukocytosis with neutrophilia and conservated or increased eosinophils, high erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP), and elevation of antistrept

basically all of which they have said. A long time ago people used to die from it. Now it is treatable with antibiotics and it usually effects those between the ages of 2 and 18.

I have had it. For me it stated as a rash all over my face, I thought it was an allergic reaction at first, my face swelled then became itchy and my throat was very sore. The rash spread to my ears and my neck. once it left my face my throat became so sore that it hurt to talk and swallow. It even hurt to move my neck.

It then moved from my neck up to my arms and my legs. I was given an antibiotic and the sore throat was gone with in two days and the rash left shortly after the medication was up.

I don't think I ever got an actual fever. I may have a few times, but it never really effected me.

I had a male cousin who contracted

I had a male cousin who contracted Scarlet Fever whwn he was four years

old. This was during the 1940's and his case was very serious. He swelled

so much that ehrn my parents went to buy pjs for him, they had to buy size 7.

He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks, but he did survive without any side

effects. About 2-3 years later, je chased a ball into the street and was hit by

a car, receiving serious head injuries. After hospital care & care at home by

our paternal grandmother, he also survived this. Then at about 13 , he was

bitten by a rabid skunk that his dog had cornered.He saved his dog from the skunk, but was bitten himself. He had ti take the series of shors re-

quired at the time. He walked to the hospital by himself, every day and got

the serues of shots, each day, with no adult to comfort him or to drive him home, afterwards. In December of 2014, he died at 72 years of age from

complications of Alzheimers. Could there be connections to previous illness, and/or injuries?

not yellow fever