Motion picture composers?

I've been getting rather interested in motion picture sound track composers. I have a friend who's planning on being a director, and I'm a composer in training so I'm probably going to be the one who makes his soundtracks. I was wondering if any of you could tell me some good motion picture sound track composers. I already John Williams ofcourse, not to mention Häns Zimmer and Stephen Sondheim, David Holmes (not sure if he's made that many movies except the Ocean's 11 series) and David Hirschfelder . Any other good ones I should actually look into to become an afficionado? Thanks

Best Answer

Vangelis

Bill Conti

Neal Hefti

Nino Rota

John Barry

Francis Lai

Max Steiner

Ernest Gold

Klaus Badelt

Alan Silvestri

Miklos Rozsa

Frank De Vol

John Addison

Maurice Jarre

Danny Elfman

James Horner

Henry Mancini

John Carpenter

Basil Poledoris

Jerry Goldsmith

Elmer Bernstein

Ennio Morricone

Bernard Herrmann

James Newton Howard

I also love the works of Tangerine Dream.

This Wikipedia link will take you to a list of composers. Click on a name, and it will take you to the composer's page, listing films s/he has scored and discussing writing style, including influences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_score_co...

If you couldn't tell, I'm a major fan of orchestral soundtracks and have been seriously collecting them since my teens, when we finally lived in a city large enough to have a record store. I used to be able to buy soundtracks for as low as five for $1 and out of bargain bins for 50-75 cents~until John Williams' string of Seventies scores ruined that. Now, they never reduce prices for soundtracks, which means I haven't been able to purchase all of them I would like to. I made exceptions for "Kingdom of Heaven", "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" and "The Mummy Returns". If I could find it, I'd buy David Hentschel's "Educating Rita" soundtrack, which I love!

I hoped this helped a little. I could list movies with soundtracks you might enjoy listening to~if you're ready for a lengthy list ranging from "King Kong" (1933) to "Gone With the Wind" (both by Max Steiner); from "Two Mules for Sister Sara" to "Joseph Andrews"; from "Somewhere in Time" to "Conan the Barbarian".

i do no longer pay attention to soundtracks whilst gaming yet i do pay attention to sevendust on a youtube playlist whilst I play the two MW3 or Payday:The Heist on my laptop. i'm strictly a working laptop or laptop gamer. I have no coordination skills with my thumbs and arms on a console controller enjoying FPS video games, yet i own the kiddies on the keyboard and mouse in many circumstances sufficient. from time to time those youngsters practice me a element or 2. lol. 34 year previous FPS laptop gamer. you will get Payday:The heist on PS3 yet no longer Xbox. it truly is a 4 guy or woman coop sport. watch some video clips on youtube. i in my opinion savor enjoying it. a minimum of i do no longer ought to difficulty approximately hackers enjoying this FPS sport. ------------- i could say another stuff i could pay attention to could be some previous Prodigy from the ninety's or the Matrix soundtrack. when I play MW3 whilst listening to Sevendust on youtube. I turn the sport quantity thoroughly off and purely enable the music pump my blood. I by no potential have been given into video games like WOW or LOL. I prefer FPS, flight sims, or puzzle. from time to time i will connect my SNES i bought new in intense college and play some previous video games like zelda, killer intuition, or large highway fighter quicker. i admire the video games of my intense college days. yeah. i'm c/o ninety 5. in all risk an previous fart whilst in comparison with you.