Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Medium format camera prints?

When developing film and then making prints from medium format film, what equipment is involved? I know nothing about the world of medium format. What kint of developing canister do you need, is there a special kind of enlarger you need, or just a bigger negative tray? Help would be much appreciated, Thank you.

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I personally only use 120 XP2 and Velvia 50.

    I scan the frames and then have the hi-res files printed out on Fuji Crystal Archive RA-4, MPIX Ilford digital B&W paper or Dalmation Digital Fiber.

    No darkroom needed.

    For your situation you want a hand tank that will hold 120 film. The enlarger most be big enough to hold a 120 film carrier.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Medium Format film is any film between 35mm and 4x5 size..

    Generally it refers to 120 size film, which can produce, via the camera it is in, a number of negative sizes. 6x6 or 2¼ x 2¼ square is one of the most common sizes but the film may have sizes from 645 to 6x9 cm and wider, 6x12 or 6x17 cm on it, again depending on the camera used.

    If 120 film IS what you are talking about you would need developing tanks able to hold 120 size film. The stainless steel kind, while hard to master at first, are the best and most long lasting. Mine go back over 30 years.

    The enlarger HAS to be able to also handle the size of the neg your wishing to expose onto paper. Most will handle 6x6 easy IF it is a medium format enlarger. Some can go to 6x9cm, like the Beseler 23c, one of the most solid and common enlarger around. The only thing "special" about the enlarger is it's - head, where the light source is and the condenser lenses are. These have to be large enuf to light up the whole size of the neg it was built to handle. If not, you WILL get a ring of light, sometimes like a donut, around your neg and it will not be evenly lit up.

    If your looking into medium format, I would look into the Beseler 23c enlarger. I have had mine since 1973 and it is still as solid as the day it was bought. Not as pretty looking, but still solid and smooth working even when moving around the state back east or out here to the desert south west some 22 years ago.

    Another good brand is the Omega line. They are worth looking at too.

    The enlarging lens will have to be at least a 75mm for 6x6 film and 50mm for 35mm film. There ARE other lenses you can use of different focal length, but these two will get you going for the 2 sizes of common film used.

    Good luck and have fun..

    Bob - Tucson

    Source(s): Been developing my own film since the early mid 60's and had many a darkroom set-ups..
  • 1 decade ago

    I can only answer your first question about developing, as I've only printed 35mm film; but have developed both small and large format film. When you're developing your film, you'll need a developing tank. You have two basic choices: metal or plastic reels. Metal reels are more traditional, and a good learning tool. On the other hand, plastic is easier and quicker to load. On top of this, plastic reels can be adapted to medium format 120 film, 35mm and many other pano film types. If you were wanting to go this route, I would suggest a Rokunar tank.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.