Difficult weight loss...?

Hi, my wife is having a hard time loosing weight. Really hard. She is 38 years old and 5 ft. 11 in. and weighs 197. She has a thick bone structure, Has had 2 kids. Works 40+ hours a week. Size 8/10. Here is her typical week:

------------------------------

Monday through Friday are basically the same just different days :

Wake up at 7am

Breakfast at 7:30am : Cereal w skim milk

Lunch at 1pm : Chicken breast with brushetta, or peanut butter and SF jelly sandwich, or Lean Cuisine french bread pizza, or one serving of Campbell's Chicken noodle soup

Snack either at 11am or at 3pm, not both : oatmeal

Drink throughout the day : water

Home by 7pm

Work out on elliptical for 20-25 minutes

Dinner : egg beaters into an omelet, nothing added, or cereal, or hard boiled egg whites (2 to 3)

Bought elliptical week of October 20th, work out 4 to 5 times a week for an average of 20 minutes a day, so about 6 weeks.

No weight loss

--------------------------------

She is VERY frustrated. She is doing well and is dedicated to eating better and working out regularly, but the scale just won't cooperate. Any thoughts?

• Rob S
    Favorite Answer

For her age & size, about 1500 calories a day split across 5-6 meals would be a good start. I didn't add up what you presented, but sites like fitday.com or www.thedailyplate.com help to track the numbers.

The cardio is a bit light... unless she's going at a pretty quick pace, 20 minutes on an elliptical isn't going to do much (ie, less than 300 calories). She'll need to work up to 45-60 minutes to burn any real calories on it. As an example, I was biking around 16 miles in 60 minutes 4 days/week to drop weight.

If possible, try to get some weight training in. It has the added benefit of raising her metabolism so the body burns more calories 24x7.

Sometimes in weight loss you won't see any progress for a while then all of a sudden the pounds drop off, then it will stop again for a while. It goes on a cycle like that. Also, maybe she can take some kind of supplement to help her along?

If you want something natural and healthy you can try the Herbal Healer Academy. http://www.herbalhealer.com/loseweight.html

I have used the Apple Cider Vinegar pills before and they work well.

I am having the same problem! And I'm getting very frustrated too! One thing I'd like to mention about the chicken noodle soup... Look at the sodium levels. I wonder if possibly part of the problem might be water retention.

I'll be watching for the answers you get. Hope you don't mind!

• Gerard

invest in a standing desk like the ergotron workfit s 379 ergotron com or get crafty and raise your monitor and keyboard with books

eat 5 6 small meals a day instead of 3

Get up and walk 10 minutes before each meal

Eat early in the day to lose moew weight

Eat an apple instead of bottled juice

distracted dining will get you in trouble avoid eating in front of a television or in a movie theater as you re bound to consume more calories

identify the emotional triggers that lead you to seek unhealthy comfort food picture your goal weight the next time a trigger strikes to help you resist temptation