bottle feeding moms, how do you feel about....?

ok, i've got two little girls, the first one is 27 mo and the second 5mo.

i breastfed my older one for 15 months... it was really difficult for us to wean her off, we tried for a few months and it was really wearing me out towards the end.

i breastfed my second exclusively for about 4 months, for about a month now, she's been on the formula... i still breastfeed her once or twice at night, that's all...

bottle feeding is very convenient... i have to admit. once the bottle is finished, i know she's full and will remain full and happy for at least 3.5 - 4 hours. but somewhere deep down, i feel guilty for not offering her what i offered her sister... i have to add that the only reason we started bottles was because she started day care and had to take a bottle per day at the daycare. (she only goes 3.5 hours in the afternoon) it was hard to get her take a bottle at first, but once she accepted, i sort of preferred it... so, my question is: does any of you feel guilty once in a while about bottle feeding?? is it normal to feel this way?

thanks a lot.

Favorite Answer

Of course! This is my story in a nut shell

Baby #1 was a preemie and not strong enough to pull my milk down so I pumped. Wellll, I also had a CSEC and recovering from this, plus feeding the baby, and pumping equalled out to about an hour of sleep at a time...didn't last long, I gave up at 2 weeks from sheer exhaustion and cried for 3 days as I fed her formula.

Baby#2 was born tongue tied and couldn't latch on, soooo I'm back to pumping. Also repeat CSEC. Same situation again with pumping, feeding and sleeping an hour at a time. Again, I gave up after a few weeks from exhaustion. Also, cried for 3 days.

End result, both kids are healthy, happy and I have forgiven myself for not being able to breatfeed them longer. It is what it is, and you move on and deal with what life gives you.

I'm sorry you are struggling. I hope I helped.

• Lena K

I must say that I did. I was unable to breastfeed my eldest son for more than 12 weeks because I had a thyroid condition that affected my milk supply. It was the hardest 3 months of my life not being able to give him what I should naturally. Whatever works for you and your baby. I managed to breastfeed my youngest for 8 months and I still feel guilty that I gave him bottles before he was 1. Both of my children are happy healthy children and I am past all that now. Don't feel too guilty because you are doing the best you can. It is normal to feel guilt but as your children get older you will forget about all that.

i chose to bottle feed while i was pregnant... both my sisters breast fed...my mom bottle fed all of us.... i made the decision to bottle feed because i knew i was going to have to go back to work pretty much right away...i am a waitress and you don't get breaks, so it would have been hard for me to find the time to pump. But it ended up that my milk never came in...i had a c-section and lost alot of blood and recieved 2 units of blood..the doctor said the trauma to my body caused myself not to produce any milk...so i really didn't have a reason to feel guilty...becasue i wouldn't have been able to..in a way i am glad i had chosen bottle feeding because if i was planning o nursing i am sure i would have been very dissappointed

I don't feel guilty anymore. I did at first because I really tried to breastfeed and it just didn't work out. I think your feelings are totally normal-any great mom worries about all sorts of things.

Who knows what is best anymore- it seems to change every couple of years anyway (does that warrant a thumbs down?...lol.) You are giving your baby complete nutrition through formula and she will be fine just like all of us bottle fed babies!

I breast fed my son until he was 2 1/2 months old. I just couldn't keep on top of the pumping. Sometimes I do feel bad, but in the end as long as baby is getting food everyone should be happy!

• I felt not so much guilty but more sad that I didnt do it longer. But honestly they will never know. I had to stop breast feeding at 4 months bc I started excerising and my milk started to dry up. I had wanted to breastfeed for a year so I felt bad. But I got over it :) GL

I do not feel guilty. I tried to breast feed but could not I did not produce the milk needed and some other issue. I offer my baby what I feel is the best formula. It costs more, but I make sure that we afford it. I make sure I feel comfortable with what she is eating.

Im not understanding why you dont pump ...... I refuse to give my daughter formula if i dont have to....Not only that but the prices are insane and my husbands military check isn't that large lol I spend maybe 10 minutes every three hours or so pumpin a bottle and then I throw it in the fridge for later! I even have a few frozen in case milk supply runs low or I dont have that moment to pump. To me it's just as convenient doing it this way rather than actually sitting down to breastfeed her. But if formula is right for you then she's fine. I wouldnt worry about it. There are plenty of strong and healthy babies that were only on formula.

• Guess

No. I BF for the first month and then switched to FF. My son is a happy, healthy little boy. That is all the proof I need to know that I made the right decision.

Source(s): Proud formula feeding mommy

i tried the breastfeeding thing, and it never seemed to work right with my daughter, so instead i bottle feed with breast milk, the same nutrients more convenient delivery system. and yes it is normal to feel a little guilty, your her mom. but there is no harm in bottle feeding.