For all you survey takers out there...whats the catch?

Okay, so I'm a stay at home mom and I was looking for ways to make some extra cash from home. Online I stumbled across the idea of taking surveys. I've heard of this working for some people and I thought, okay...I can voice my opinion for cash and/or prizes, no big deal. Boy, was I wrong. The first "survey" that I... show more Okay, so I'm a stay at home mom and I was looking for ways to make some extra cash from home. Online I stumbled across the idea of taking surveys. I've heard of this working for some people and I thought, okay...I can voice my opinion for cash and/or prizes, no big deal. Boy, was I wrong. The first "survey" that I actually had time to complete (or so I think I completed) was a huge ordeal. For $1000 walmart gift card I was supposed to...
-answer coke or pepsi, which took me to
-select the following "optional" offers that you would be interested in...
-so I selected one and continued
-select from some additional offer that I was interested in
- and I skipped
-Complete any two offers and then I would receive my free gift card
-so I completed 2 offers (knowing that I could cancel them later) but paying a small shipping fee or activation fee of a couple bucks
-go back to pick some optional offers screen
- 2 more completed offers to continue
-4 more completed offers to continue
-back to the option offers screen
...anyways this 3 ring circle continues for another 2 HOURS and I look up and this "survey" has led me into opening 8 additional tabs that all led to dead ends in the button pushing. So what happened? Did I spend $15 bucks in registering for 15 products/services that I'm just going to spend another 2 HOURS in a couple days canceling (to prevent further charges)? I didn't seem like I really got any free gift card, or whatnot, after all. I missed out on 2 hours of playing with my son with the idea that I was going to voice my opinion and make some money. Sorry for my venting. I guess my questions are...

-Is this a common problem that anybody else has come across?

-Is there really a survey company out there that you actually can make money/prizes from?

-Or if this is the way "surveys" really work is there a button pushing method that gets you the prize/money with minimal time spent? (after all there is a reason I decided to stay at home with my son, to spend more time with him)

Any help or advise would be much appreciated! Thanks