Meredith C asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How would a pit bull affect my home-owner's insurance?

I live in Toledo, OH. My husband and I had thought about renting out a room in our house (it has a private bathroom and entrance) to a good friend of ours. However, she recently acquired a pit bull (it was her and her ex-boyfriend's, if she didn't take him, he was going to the Humane Society). Now, I know that there are many problems insuring pit bulls. We already have a German Shepherd/American Eskimo mix, and the dogs get along very well. The pit bull is a very sweet dog, but the breed has such a bad reputation.

If we took in her and her dog as renters, would the pit bull need to be added to our home-owner's insurance? Or could she take out renter's insurance and get him covered? What is the additional cost of insuring a pit bull?

• *****
    Favorite Answer

Depends on your insurance company. Since she's renting a room in your house and not an independent apartment-type unit, you'd likely have to add the pit to your policy, but what that will do to your rates and such will depend on your carrier. I am insured with State Farm, and in the state I live in, they do not/can not ask what breed of dog you own, only how many and if they have ever bitten anyone. If that is the case with your carrier, you may not see a rate increase at all, unless they increase for the number of dogs. Call and ask, generally, what their policy is in your location on Pit Bulls. You don't even need to identify yourself if you're worried about them hiking your rates for asking about pit bulls. If your company asks breed and wants to raise rates or drop your coverage, you may want to call around and ask for new quotes from other insurance companies. Tell your current company you are doing so and will leave them if they raise your rates, you may find the rate mysteriously drops to keep you as a customer.

Add: Take a look here for information specific to Ohio that I just came across: http://www.take2rescue.com/pit_insurance.asp

I have farm insurance in TN, and my agent suggested not mentioning to the insurance company that we had pyrs because some insurance companies can be paranoid about some breeds, not just the pit bull, but any large breed guardian dog. Even our agent was not totally sure how our insurance company would respond to our pyrs.

You can feel your insurance agent out with some generic questions, like, if you note on your policy that you have a dog and what kind of dog you have, is anything related to the dog sustaining injuries, or doing injuries that would be covered. If no coverage is available, why add the dog to the home-owner's insurance?

Do you have some reason why the dog needs to be insured? Is the dog a breeding dog that would be a great financial loss to the owners? -!-

You'll need to call your insurance company. Firstly, if it does matter that the renter has a dog, it WILL matter more that the dog is a pit bull. I know it's sad - the wrong end of the leash is blamed for the majority of this breed. Just call your insurance and let them know you are considering renting. Ask if the renters can have pets and if that affects your insurance or if the renters' insurance covers that. Your homeowner's insurance will not cover any of your renters' personal losses if something happens like a fire or flood.

Since the dog is living on your premises, even if she took out renter's insurance, you would still bear some liability for the dog if something happens. Check your policy and see what the language is. If necessary, call the insurance company. You may not be allowed to add the dog to your coverage or they may charge you quite a bit more. If they charge you, you should pass the additional cost off to your friend. Having a renter in your home may change your coverage anyway, so you probably need a conversation with the insurance company anyway.

The only way to know for sure is to call your homeowner's insurance carrier and ask. It's becoming more and more common to refuse to underwrite insurance because of breed restrictions. I've even seen refusals to write an insurance policy if a dog is over a certain weight.

Unfortunately, people and insurance companies are not educated the true dangers of breeds.

I had a pit for years and Would claim he was a "Hound mix" and never got any greif... my vet knew but after my request changed his breed to Hound mix on my paper work so I could get him flown across county when I moved!! Pits are wonderful dogs with a public media and several bad owners that dont know the love and care of the breed..

actually, in CT state farm will insure a home with a pit bull, they just ask that an agent meets the dog. when they see that the dog is a well behaved, gentle pet, there's usually not a problem.

i don't know about other companies.

Source(s): i have 5 pit mixes

Most unsurance companies will not insure homes with pit-bulls, german shepards, or Rotweillers. They see them as a liability. Just went through this recently and had to get rid of my beautiful pit bull or loose my insurance. Insurance co. came and took pictures.

Mine more than doubled just for getting a rottweiler so I can imagine it would be like that for a pit bull too. I also live in Ohio.

This can probably only be answered by your insurance agent. I don't think renter's insurance will cover dog-related injuries.