Is it legal to Remix a Song?

I was wondering if it is legal to remix a song and add some stuff to it and change it up a little bit and not sell it or anything but then post it on your myspace account and let people all over the world to see it?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It is illegal. You have to gain rights from the author. Or else it is copyright infringement. Once you gain the rights, you usually have to pay the author a royalty in most cases.

    If your doing it for your own private use, nobody would now. But if you are posting it on the internet, you could get caught with a lawsuit by the recording industry.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No its not legal. I don't know how old you are, but back in the 80's, Vanilla Ice did this (when rap was pretty new) to a David Bowie Song and later MC Hammer did it to Superfreak. This set a new precedent in music. MC Hammer gave props to Rick James for using his song, Vanilla Ice did not, and denied it completely. He stated that because he added a beat here and there, that it technically wasn't the same song. The record label didn't see it that way, and threatened to sue him over it. They ended up settling out of court.

    So, because of this, many other musicians had to give props to whoever they sampled from, and get their permission prior to using. Most seemed content with this. However, they were making money off of it, I'm assuming that you not, because your using "myspace". Technically, anytime you use someone elses work, even if you alter it, you have to give credit where credit is due. I'm sure that you don't have the money to contact the companies or artist and ask for rights, who would? So, to be on the safe side, I would give acknowledgment to who ever you are using. As you know, "myspace" lets you put music on there, but the artist and song is listed. "Myspace" itself may not allow you to host music that they don't provide, due to contracts, so that's why I say you should acknowledge the artist, just to cover your own butt, and to keep your account.

  • 4 years ago

    Then do it already.....that's no longer unlawful to combine a music of somebody elses for inner maximum use, yet once you do it for income that's illegitimate to so i would not propose blending it to sell blend it just to take heed to. superb of luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.