Why are there so many people claiming to be atheist in this section of the site?

I'm honestly puzzled about it. I'm straight, so I wouldn't be on a gay site arguing with them. So why are atheist on a site slamming people about their beliefs, and belittling them for it, instead of trying to understand them?

Don't get me wrong, I feel the same way about many Christians intolerance towards atheists, agnostic, and other religions. I keep seeing a lot of answers and comments coming from egos more than anything, and I'm wondering what the point is?

Favorite Answer

99% of the time, the point is that we just all get a kick out of rubbing each other the wrong way. It's not very noble, but it's true. Don't take us so seriously. Most of us don't take ourselves as seriously as it seems. We're just sparring, not really fighting.

Of course, there is the pearl of wisdom that falls on rare occasions.

Because people are looking for answers to questions and the atheist view of religion and spirituality is just as valid as a faith heads. In fact it could be argued that on many topics here we are more rational and independent as we aren't indoctrinated.

This is not a discussion board so arguing doesn't come into it. The issue is that theology is not objective fact so you will get opinionated answers, that's all theology is.

I am here for the same reason people are allowed in the pets section. I answer legitimate question in an honest way, and only slam people who are trying to force their beliefs on me....or are being trolls.

there aren't that many, really.

With 1,500,000 Athiests in America, very very few hang out here.

Those that do have a cultural interest.

I am not really an atheist. It's just that atheists are more reasonable than thumpers. I'm agnostic (Buddhist).

Even non atheists pretend to be atheists sometimes so that they, too, can take a drink, no matter how convoluted a version of this same question gets asked.

Bottoms up.

*drink*

Don't presume based on a few answers/questions. I never bash anyone....nor do most atheists. I am here because I enjoy discussing religion and philosophy. I don't have to be religious to do that. I USED to be a Methodist minister....so I guess its in my dna.....I also like politics, though I am not a politician.

Who said I wasn't try to understand them, it's part of being an athesit is looking for answers and understanding..

BTW, I don't slam anyone that doesn't slam me... and I'm not 'claiming' to be, I am

Source(s): IMHO *Drink*

Religion is the subject here, not the entrance requirement.

Not all atheists are rude....just like not all Xtians are rude.

Take off your Xtian colored glasses and really look around.

The people who are claiming to be Atheists,that aren't,are godgobber trolls.

They stick out like dogs balls !

• CC

You are mistaken.

This is not a christian site. This is an open forum in question-answer format for all to participate. Just like the Cats section is for all who wish to discuss cats or lack of cats, this section is open for all who wish to discuss religion and spirituality or the lack thereof.

Just like the Cats section allow non-cats to participate, this section allows atheists to participate.

Source(s): An atheist perspective.