what was the issue at law in the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka 1954?

I have to do a brief for this case for my class, please help and provide as much info as possible, THANKS!

Favorite Answer

Racial segregation in schools. It ruled that the separate but equal doctrine established by Plessy v. Ferguson created a situation that was inherently unequal in terms of the quality of the schools and education received, and it was a violation of the 14th Amendment.

Add:

"Brown v. Board of Education was not simply about children and education. The laws and policies struck down by this court decision were products of the human tendencies to prejudge, discriminate against, and stereotype other people by their ethnic, religious, physical, or cultural characteristics. Ending this behavior as a legal practice caused far reaching social and ideological implications, which continue to be felt throughout our country. The Brown decision inspired and galvanized human rights struggles across the country and around the world.

What this legal challenge represents is at the core of United States history and the freedoms we enjoy. The U.S. Supreme Court decision in Brown began a critical chapter in the maturation of our democracy. It reaffirmed the sovereign power of the people of the United States in the protection of their natural rights from arbitrary limits and restrictions imposed by state and local governments. These rights are recognized in the Declaration of Independence and guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution."

For more details on the case, see this site, which is devoted to the importance of Brown v. Board of Education.

http://brownvboard.org/summary/

The issue for Brown vs. Board of Education was that of an allowance of African Americans going to school. They were trying to see if it was unconstitutional to hold blacks from learning due to race. There were a few other racially driven cases in many states that drove it's way to the Supreme Court. In the end, obviously, keeping students of any race from getting an education was deemed unconstitutional. I was in a Paralegal course in college and was required to read the entire case and it's subdivisions of other cases and brief it and I have to say that it was a great case and very intriguing. I feel it is best for you to read the case and give it the attention you would anything else because this gives you the insight into the struggles endured due to racism. I wish you luck on this brief!

are you kidding? this was one of the most important Supreme Court decisions in our history. How can you not know what it was?