CAL39 B asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

what was the issue at law in the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka 1954?

i have to do like a brief for this case , please help me with as much info as you can . THANKS A MILLION

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, 347 U.S. 483 (1954),[1] was a landmark decision of the United States Supreme Court, which overturned earlier rulings going back to Plessy v. Ferguson in 1896, by declaring that state laws that established separate public schools for black and white students denied black children equal educational opportunities. Handed down on May 17, 1954, the Warren Court's unanimous (9-0) decision stated that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." As a result, de jure racial segregation was ruled a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution. This victory paved the way for integration and the civil rights movement.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In 1951, a class action suit was filed against the Board of Education of the City of Topeka, Kansas in the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas. The plaintiffs were thirteen Topeka parents on behalf of their twenty children.[6]

The suit called for the school district to reverse its policy of racial segregation. Separate elementary schools were operated by the Topeka Board of Education under an 1879 Kansas law, which permitted (but did not require) districts to maintain separate elementary school facilities for black and white students in twelve communities with populations over 15,000. The plaintiffs had been recruited by the leadership of the Topeka NAACP. Notable among the Topeka NAACP leaders were the chairman McKinley Burnett; Charles Scott, one of three serving as legal counsel for the chapter; and Lucinda Todd.

The named plaintiff, Oliver L. Brown, was a parent, a welder in the shops of the Santa Fe Railroad, an assistant pastor at his local church, and an African American.[7] He was convinced to join the lawsuit by Scott, a childhood friend. Brown's daughter Linda, a third grader, had to walk six blocks to her school bus stop to ride to Monroe Elementary, her segregated black school one mile (1.6 km) away, while Sumner Elementary, a white school, was seven blocks from her house.[8][9]

• julme
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

the difficulty for Brown vs. Board of preparation became into that of an allowance of African individuals going to college. They have been attempting to make certain if it became into unconstitutional to hold blacks from getting to grasp by using race. there have been some different racially pushed circumstances in lots of states that drove it truly is thank you to the very ultimate court docket. interior the top, needless to say, conserving pupils of any race from getting an preparation became into deemed unconstitutional. i became into in a Paralegal direction in college and became into required to envision the entire case and it truly is subdivisions of alternative circumstances and short it and that i ought to assert that it became right into a large case and extremely interesting. i've got faith it truly is sweet for you to envision the case and supply it the attention you may something because of the fact this provides the perception into the struggles persevered by using racism. I prefer you success in this short!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.