Do british people like the American accent?

like a Californian accent?

or any others?

thank you!!

i'm american..i have the califfornia type of accent.

p.s

i love the british accents!

Favorite Answer

I can only speak for myself; I personally like the American accent; my girlfriend is Californian, in fact, and I love her accent (but I would say that, wouldn't I!) Midwestern accents I quite like; they sound almost Irish to me, sometimes. I find Southern US accents sound a little funny...I guess I kind of associate that accent with stereotypical rednecks, which is unfortunate because I'm sure most Southerners are not that way at all, but there you go. I've been watching a lot of The Sopranos recently and the New Jersey accent is really growing on me; it's quite a tough accent to imitate properly, too. Oh and the Bostonian accent (which I only grew really familiar with in the Scorcese movie, The Departed) is really hilarious to me.

In general though, I like the standard American accent; it's quite pleasing to the ears, though one issue I have is, like, how some Americans, like, use the word 'like' about five times every, like, sentence. Most use much better English than British people, though. I don't agree with the common British tendency to see Americans as bastardizing our language; Americans are nearly always much more eloquent speakers, and have far better spelling and punctuation than the British, who are frankly dire at these aspects, for the most part.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Do People Like American Accents

• Laura

I'm American and I love the British accent

I live in Oregon (we pronounce it Orygyn, not because we actually want to, but because if we didn't all pronounce it that way we would get a bad look from others}. I know we have an accent here, because I can sometimes hear an Irish accent in the conversation of Oregon natives.

My friend from Michigan complained that we talk too fast. Someone else mentioned that in the West, we don't always finish a sentence, and expect the other person to just come to the logical conclusion.

I tend to pick up accents easily, and have struggled for years with an accent picked up from my friends from Oklahoma; was wondering if the English especially notice the accent of those from Oklahoma and Arkansas.

My daughter recently visited Australia, and she thought it was fun to be the one with the adorable accent for a change. .

As an American, (with a general accent- NOT "California accent"), I just want to point out a few things:

-We aren't butchering the language; I've heard enough English people speak that I know society is crumbling everywhere.

-American's don't CONSTANTLY use "totally" or "oh my gahd" as much as the stereotype would like to credit us for. It's really not as popular as the British might be lead to believe.

-British aren't "generally better at copying the American accent". In fact, most British people over-do my accent so much it's almost painful to listen to. Now, I'm not saying that American's are fantastic at British accents, because I know that's not the case at all; I just don't think that some of you folk should be so pretentious, because in the end, both countries have insane regional differences and that should be respected.

Now that I've probably made myself out to look like an ***, I'm all finished. Sorry to cause any problems. ;) It's just frustrating

• Devan6 years agoReport

I agree, I've lived most my life in California, and it kind of offends that my accent seems to be reduced to stereotypical preppy teen girls, it depends on the person who over uses the word "like" and "totally" not the region of which they live.

• Jeanne

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avSu1

Im Scottish. I prefer british accents =p American can sound cheesy. Its weird, I think Rob pattinson is much hotter when he talks with his own english accent, and johnny depp too...but House is disgusting when he talks with his english accent! :P

As an American I have to agree with some of these answers. We do over use the word "like" a lot. Maybe not "totally," but "like" is probably the number 1 word we over use. I do love a British accent. Depending on the person.

If you want to know the girl believe, if you wish to know very well what she desire then you definitely require that information https://tr.im/Q4Ntu to guide you.

With the Tao of Badass guide you will give them what they want and they'll offer you that which you desire.

With this particular information you will be able to obtain any woman in virtually any room because this information changes the dreams in reality.

The Tao of Badass program will take you through nearly any problem with a lady or in a cultural setting and show you how you are most likely doing it right now… and how it is in addition crucial to change that.

It depends if you are a bloke or not. If you are a bloke it can be bearable but with girls they are so whiny and annoying I can't stand them. Accents like Dolly Parton's are funny though.

Some do, Some don't................ I like the accent of American girls (some of my best friends are American chicks), especially compared to the accents of some of the women in this country (sorta towards Bradford / Wigan kinda area I think), who sound scary.

Can't stand the accent of some of the younger American guys when they're over here with their girlfriends though......... they sound whiney & vomit inducing when they start "sweet talking" them in the streets.

Source(s): Got lots of American online friends + live in a popular tourist town: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/65d99/49fc6/

Yes, I had a friend in the army (he was training with us S F), and he came from South Carolina, I thought he had a great accent and I find that type of drawl is attractive on men and women .