Info needed about Romania/Romanians please...?

ok first of all i am not asking this to be racist or anything like that. i am asking it for information purposes ONLY!!! thank you!

ok here goes...

why do romanians call themselves "latins?" i mean really, they were not latin originally, they were slavs (wallachian, sorry if spelling is wrong) so why they think after roman rule that makes them latins?? their language is latin i admit but i dont see how their entire race would have been changed because rome had rule over them for some time. rome had rule over many countries and the people of those countries are not "latin."

so i just wanna know are they claiming to be latin from some other origin as well or ONLY from roman rule. i see pics of romanians like vlad the impaler (dracula). they look to me like other eastern europeans like the countries that surround them.

well some look different but then they would most likely have gypsy in their family, yes??

i know a lot of romanians where i live they work here and whenever i wanna know about them they get an instant attitude or just act like its not important. some even get angry coz i ask. i mean my gosh, whats the problem?? dont they know who they are?? sheesh!!

you can answer even if you are not romanian, as long as you know what you are talking about. if you dont have an intelligent answer than move to another question pls. thanx.

cheers!!

@ Lobosito>> I know Romanians are not Gypsies. I did not call them Gypsies, I said SOME appear or look like they have Gypsy in them. Trust me I know how Romanians feel about them. My daughter's father is from Bucharest and i know they do not like the Gypsies even when they do have them in their family!!! It is almost like a joke =p

Thanx for the other answers too!!! =)

@ Oneworld>> oh yes, they most certainly do call themselves latins and seem very proud to be considered latins...i dont get it though...NEVER say they look indo-european as to them it means you are calling them a gypsy. they are quick to spring back a reply like (here's a popular one i get from them): "oh no, no!!! we (romanians) do not look like gypsies, gypsies are not romanians they are something else (something???)...we have a nice skin color because we have latin feature and this is why we look this way. it is latin look and not gypsy."

that is their words...not mine!!!

@Lobosito>>>

oh get over yourself man!! if you cant take the heat than stay out of the kitchen. who gives a crap about what you wrote anyway. you only told me stuff i already knew.

i DID NOT call romanians gypsies and i DID NOT compare them to them either.

so shut da hell up and go back to making your picket signs for equal rights of the stupid people.

i was right about what i said about romanians...just had wallachians in the place of dacians.

my questions were answered, but NOT BY YOU!!!

funny how people defend their rights so strongly when no one was offending them in the first place.

Favorite Answer

Actually, ethnic Romanians aren't Slavic at all. They are descended from a mixture of Dacians (who are from the ancient Thracians, a common ancestor with the Greeks and Albanians) and Romans. The Dacians were the original inhabitants of present-day Romania, but around the year 100 AD the Roman Emperor Trajan conquered the various Dacian tribes in a prolonged and bloody campaign (there's actually this giant monument in Rome today called Trajan's Column, which illustrates his conquests of the Dacian people).

Anyway, after Trajan's conquest, the Romans established their own civil administration there and extensively colonized the area, and many Roman soldiers and civil officers intermarried with Dacians to form the Romanian people today.

Wallachia (what you referred to earlier) was a kingdom in the Middle Ages and lasted until 1859, and it is basically the southern third of the Romanian nation today. There were also ethnic Romanians living outside the Wallachian kingdom at that time, such as Transylvania and Moldavia (half of which is today's Republic of Moldova).

Historically speaking, the Romanians have tended to be ethnically-homogenous (meaning, they didn't marry non-Romanians), and the reason being is because there was strong ethnic pride as for centuries the Romanian people were ruled by foreign powers, whether it be the Turks, the Hungarians, or the Russians. However, because of globalization and emigration, I'm sure there are plenty of Romanians who would marry outside their race =)

In case you were wondering, when the Soviets took over Romania during World War II they basically sliced the Romanian region of Moldavia in half and took the eastern half of the region for itself under the title "Soviet Republic of Moldova". The Soviets encouraged Russians, Ukranians, and other Slavic people to move into Moldova, and I'm sure that in that republic today there are some ethnic Romanians who might be married to a Slavic person. But Moldova is still an ethnic Romanian-majority country today.

I've never heard that Romanians call themselves Latin. Maybe it's because their language is Latin based and is considered a romance language. I'm not entirely sure.

Why do you need this information in the first place?

Originally, before Romania was conquered by Romans, it was occupied by a Goths tribe, named Dacians.

Romans tried to conquer Dacia and they did that around year 100 after Christ.

Before and during the Roman Empire decline, the slavs migrated into the territories around Dacia. It was a period of turmoil that contributed to the decline of Roman Empire.

Now, some Roman legions remained in Dacia until Aurelian's retreat because it was a prosperous region.

During this time, they imposed their administration and language. And a process of assimilation of both cultures and populations happened.

Still, the subject is contoversial because there are few data from those times.

"so why they think after roman rule that makes them latins??"

They remained in Dacia for longer periods than in other parts. Or the process of assimilation was easier.

Romanian language is a proof for that. It contains more Latin words than other non-Latin languages.

"so i just wanna know are they claiming to be latin from some other origin as well or ONLY from roman rule."

Latin means from Roman rule. Its' the same thing.

"they look to me like other eastern europeans like the countries that surround them. "

Compared with what? Compared with a Scandinavian, maybe. Compared with Francs or most of other European countries, you can't tell difference from photos.

You cannot look for ancestry roots only by looking at photos.

"well some look different but then they would most likely have gypsy in their family, yes??"

Gypsy came in Europe about 1000 brought from India by Turks as slaves. Then, they spreaded into Europe. If they were kicked out or endured slavery in other parts, Romania was more tolerant of them, that's why there are more now there than in other parts.

Gypsies are not so numerous and they tend to stay separated from other groups, so you can't say they run in families. There are Gypsies all over Europe.

Beware, Romanians don't like to be called Gypsies. I personally don't like.

"I said SOME appear or look like they have Gypsy in them. "

Whi are these "some"?

" i know they do not like the Gypsies even when they do have them in their family!!! " I explained to you that Romanianas are a distince group then Gypsies. Yes, SOME may have in families but you may say the same about any other people. Some Dutch, Argentinians or Chinese may have some Gypsies in family.

Before making general and false assumptions about an entire country("originally, they were slavs (wallachian)"), I would document myself. I would start with Wikipedia. Why do you compare us with Gypsies in first place?

"@ Oneworld>> oh yes, they most certainly do call themselves latins and seem very proud to be considered latins"

I don't consider myself proud to be considered Latin. I am proud with achievements of my life and not with some abstract notion. Still I like to think of myself as having the temperament of a Latin. There are good reasons to think that-and I explained to you.

".NEVER say they look indo-european as to them it means you are calling them a gypsy."

Few people know, and I wonder if you know, what means indo-european. There was a massive migration from Asia, before all Europe was populated. Yes, most Europeans( few exceptions like Basque, Etruscians)are Indo-European.

But few people know that. Calling a Romanian Indo-european is like a joke and probably they think you called them Gypsies since Gypsies came from India.

But please explain to me how does an Indo-European looks like?!? That migration happened thousands of years before year 0.

I don't say we have a Latin look( how does a Latin looks like?!?) either and it's first time I hear that.