How hard is it to get accepted into Chapman, USC/UCLA/NYU film school?

I really love film making and I want to pursue it as a career or some sort in the future. I am currently a highschool junior, taking few honors, 1 AP, and few CP (college prep=regular classes) classes. I get As and Bs and usually a weighted GPA of a bit over 4.0 or something like that. I am taking the SAT in December and I do not expect to get a good score but something decent or above average. Also, extra curricular activities sound like a must? I do a lot of filming for people that hire me to do so and make short films for fun. Do you think that is enough? What other factors are there that could help me get into these schools? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Well, you have a good start!

The first question for YOU to answer is what do you really want to do? There are a lot of different jobs available in the professional film industry. Getting a movie made takes more than just a Director and Actors.

So first, figure out what it is you SPECIFICALLY want to do. Then, you need to find all of the schools and/or workshops that will help teach you that discipline. Then, you need to sift through those to determine which are the best for you plus any other considerations, such as location and cost.

No one can tell you what school is best for YOU. That's something only you can decide for yourself. Once you've narrowed your choices down, contact each school and ask very specific questions about what they will offer in terms of curriculum that will help you achieve your goals. Let them know what how well you're doing in school as well as the extra work you've been doing professionally and on the short films.

Having said all of that, you have to also understand that no school or degree will guarantee you a job in the professional film industry. Most careers are built on networking, hard work, perseverance, enthusiasm, and passion. A bit of luck comes into play, but you shouldn't bet your life and career on something so improbable. Once you find a school that suits your specific needs, you should work to improve your odds by continuing to go out into the real world by interning or volunteering on actual professional productions. Find student films, indie films, or just a local production company that will let you be there to observe how actual production works. You may be carrying cases or getting coffee, but getting away from the protected school environment and into the thick of the real world gives you actual experience PLUS you'll be meeting people who may be able to help you achieve your career goals.

For the absolute most comprehensive worldwide list of filmschools available anywhere, visit http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com and click on the Filmschools link at the top. Also prepare yourself by learning as much as you can about the real professional industry by reading What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood.

School may teach you how to make a movie. But by visiting http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com, you'll learn how real movies are actually made.

Good luck!

Brian Dzyak

Cameraman/Author

IATSE Local 600, SOC

http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com

Harvard is academically so tough, that affirmative action would be useless. Anyone with the scores to get in there deserves it, even if they are a 1 eyed, 1 horned, flying, purple, people eater......... Almost every person of color in this country has benefitted. When school kids take those standardized tests andf report their race, funding is given to the schools based on racial make up. Majority minority schools received "benefits" because of their status that they in turn passed on to the kids.