Why is the picture quality poor when I play burned DVDs on my TV?

I am taking an AVI movie and burning it to a DVD. When I do this the original file (around 700 MB) jumps up to 6-8GB. I bought some 8.5 GB DVDs to get the best quality burn to fit on the DVD. When trying to watch the movie on my TV....the picture is not near as good as a regular DVD. Is there a way to get burned DVDs to look better from downloading an avi file?

Favorite Answer

The problem with this is that the source file you are using has already been compressed and reduced to 700 Mb from it's original 4.7 Gb - 8.5 Gb file size. When you move this video back to DVD format, it has to fill in the blanks, and there is no way for it to recover the artifacts it lost during the initial compression.

Try using something like DVD Shrink. It will copy disc images rather than compress the files down to an AVI.

Total Video2Dvd can help u burn avi to dvd, very easy to use.

http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_video_to_DVD_Aut...

1. Support High-Definition video formats such as HD-DV, MKV, Blu-ray TS, TP, M2TS, AVCHD, WMV-HD etc to DVD.

2. Support most popular formats such as Youtube Flv, RM, RMVB, 3gp, h264, Xvid, MOV, VOB, Mpeg, Mpeg4, WMV, ASF, DV, Nsv, Ogm, AVI to DVD.

3. Convert video files into a compliant DVD and burns to DVD disc, also can create ISO image files.

4. Support lots of subtitle file formats, including .srt . sub .ssa .*** .smi .psb .tex .idx etc. Handles subtitles files (.srt) color and font. Supports tags.