need the Best free antivirus ?
i need the best free antivirus that is as good as mcafee or better.
- ManuelLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
your choice my friend all of this are free and good
and of course comodo firewall(the best)its pro but free
and you are protected for sure
- arouge1786Lv 71 decade ago
There are a few choices when it comes to security, mainly in the AntiVirus department. Some very good, free anti-viruses available to download are:
1) AVG 8 AntiVirus. Easiest interface to use, very fast scanning and doesn't lag your computer at all. Only has a 76% detection rate, but catches the most harmful of viruses. If you're a normal home user, you're not in too much danger of higher level viruses and this is the AV for you:
2) Avast! 4 AntiVirus. Smaller, sleeker skin, average scanning speed, but reports alot of safe files as viruses, so you might need to watch out for that. 78% detection rate, but alot more complicated than most other free AVs. Use this if you are handy with a computer and you know what needs to be scanned:
3) Avira AntiVirus. Simple layout, which even the most basic of users can navigate. Incredibly fast scanning, with a 90% detection rate. Not as easy on the eyes as other AVs, and you need to know what you're doing to get the more advanced features, but it is definite a candidate:
Personally I use AVG, but only because I go for the easier interface. If you are paranoid about viruses then the only real option is Avira. But if you just want normal protection, then any of the three will do it for you.
For any spyware problems, get SpyBot - Search and Destroy:
And for protecting your computer for malware or tracking cookies, use Ad-Aware 2008 Free Edition:
All of them are free, as powerful as paid programs, like McAfee and Norton (which only has an 18% detection rate!), and don't use up as many resources.
Just boot into Safe Mode (Press F8 when turning on the computer) and run full scans.
Hope that helps.
- Samuel AdamsLv 71 decade ago
If you want a free anti-virus I recommend in order of popularity, but please choose the right one for you (install only one):
1. AVG Free
a. A simple interface (easier to use than Avast! and Avira)
b. Can detect about 82.82% of viruses
Cons: low virus detection
a. Real-time protection
b. It has an option to delete a virus once found
c. Can detect about 87.46% of viruses.
Cons: Too many icons and confusing user interface
3. Avira AntiVir
a. It can detect malware better than Avast and AVG
b. It's cute umbrella icon
c. Can detect about 94.26% of viruses
Cons: A very sluggish update
I advise against Norton anti-virus, it's bloated software that takes control of your computer. The best anti-virus available is Kaspersky or NOD32 (recent tests at av-comparatives.org).Source(s): http://www.av-comparatives.org/ http://free.grisoft.com/ http://www.avast.com/ http://www.free-av.com/
- cotojoLv 71 decade ago
Avast anti-virus which better definitions, anti-spyware and anti-rootkit built in, faster and more reliable:
AVG state that AVG V8 Free does NOT scan downloads for malicious content, which allows viruses to be downloaded, Avast Free4home Edition blocks viruses instantly, so it does what a good antivirus program should do. When the vendor states that their program does NOT scan for malicious downloads, then why bother installing it in the first place? Everyone wants realtime protection and Avast gives you that protection.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
Dont listen to anyone else !!!!!!!
Avast 4.8 Free Home Edition
Zonealarm Firewall Free
Malwere Bytes Antimalwere
Download all the time and it gets rid of all of the virus / spywere at once even before it gos into my files. Great All Free
- DonLv 61 decade ago
comodo.com offers a complete security suite free their firewall is easy to operate and the rest is install and forget and it works for vista all of this from the oldest computer security company...do not run two antivirus at the same time
- CanadaRAMLv 71 decade ago
List of antivirus programs and ratings.
Free Anti-Virus for home use
After cleaning, make sure you install one AnitVirus program, and one active AntiSpyware program, and keep them up to date.
Avast! 4 Home
(if a virus infection is persistent, use Avast to do a boot-scan - click on "schedule boot-scan" and restart the computer)
Mcafee Free tools
SpyBot Search & Destroy
CCleaner (cleans out caches) http://www.ccleaner.com/
Malware removal tool (not an active scanner)
Make sure your Windows Firewall is turned on. In Vista, turn on the outgoing firewall feature which is turned off by default.
Or get a third party Firewall from Comodo http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,63762/de...
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Best free Anti virus: Avast: www.avast.com, AVG: www.free-avg.com,
Avira: www.free-av.com. Check out http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-sAFtLsc8erIoh.ENhks... for more details.
- tonyinspainLv 51 decade ago
avg free is really excellent avast,norton,kesperky and the rest slow your machine down
i have used avg for a number of years now without problems
download from here
- 1 decade ago
i've used AVG for around 3 or 4 years now. i havent had any problems with it or viruses.