Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

how long would it take for me to get flexible on my legs?

and what are some extremely good stretches to do on them

Update:

if i did it every morning, and night

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer
  • 1 decade ago

Get a Pilates dvd--Pilates is a great form of exercise for building flexibility.

• 1 decade ago

legs(splits)- to do the splits i will take awile, do these streaches every day and you should be able to the spits in 2-7weeks.

1- preperation: put a warm water bag on your split area for 3min.(make sure you are whereing lose shorts or sweat pants)

2- preperation streaches: spread your legs apart as far as they can go comfortably. keep your legs strait and reach for each foot from side to side, then hold it on one side for 1 or 2 min then switch sides. then bring your legs together and reach for your toes without bending your legs. hold for 2 or 3 min.

3- holding streaches: go down in any splits as far as you can go, put a pillow under you and rest your split area on the pillow and hold for a while (30 mins), watch t.v , listen to music, or read to pass the time.

4- with friends streaches: me and my friends do this all the time. right and left leg split: have a pillow or icecube to bite on while you do this streach. lay down on your back have one person hold down your leg and have another person lift your other leg to 90 degrees, then 95(hold for 5min) 100(hold) and go on untill you reach 180degrees. straddel splits: sperad your legs as far apart as possible, have a friend put ther feet on your ankels and push back your legs as far back as they can.(make sure you are up aganst a wall)

Source(s): me
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sit on floor bend one leg in n reach over to other leg trying to touch toes keeeping legs on floor hold it 4 10 seconds then change the repeat

hope it helped here are some other excersises:

Keep your joints and muscles lubricated by warming up and cooling down. Do not start with a full stretch without warming up and do not halt into a full stop without cooling down.

Do stretches every day and work at it progressively. You can't become flexible overnight. Work at the rate you are comfortable with, and then slowly increase the difficulty (length of time, length of reach or both).

When stretching, do not bounce. This puts stress on the joints and muscles, as well as creating micro-tears in the muscle fibers. Stretch slowly and as gracefully as you can. Make sure the movements are in one fluid motion.

Keep in mind to include both the positive and negative motion when you stretch. Keep it symmetrical. If you are stretching your left, stretch out your right too. If you are bending forward, bend backwards too.

Make sure you have supervision if you have no idea what you are doing. Most martial arts schools and gymnastics classes have extensive stretches and exercises to warm up.

Get a healthy diet. Eat more of the green leafy food and the vegetables, and drink a lot of water. Increase your protein and calcium. The important thing is to balance everything.

[edit] RoutineShoulders

Stretch each arm as far across your chest while holding it as you can without feeling pain for five or ten minutes every day.

Lift small weights daily so that your muscles can become more accustomed to the repetitive motion and movement.

Back - be extremely careful!

Lay down on the floor.

Sit up straight, leaving your legs out in front of you. They don't have to be flat.

Turn your upper body slowly, and make absolutely sure that you stop turning when it starts to hurt. It is relatively easy to damage your spinal cord if you stretch improperly, so pay attention.

When you stop turning, hold that position for five to ten seconds. Turn the other direction, and repeat.

Try and do a backbend/bridge but be careful not to go too far! Once you are in the bridge, push through your shoulders and try to put your legs together and straighten them. Don't go on your toes!

You can also stand up with your arms hanging out to the side and then very slowly twist from side to side.

Another stretch is to lay flat on your tummy and then use your arms to put yourself in a snake or seal stretch!

Legs

Sit down as you did before for the back exercises, only this time, make your legs as flat on the ground as possible, right beside each other.

Stretch down towards your knees. Do not bend your head to face your knees, face forward.

This will also stretch your neck muscles; if it hurts your neck to do this exercise, face your knees and stretch.

You can also sit down with your legs straight out and take your right leg and swing it over your left leg a few times. Do the same with your right leg.

Upper thighs (Buttocks)

Squeeze both sides together.

Hold for five minutes. (If this is too long, start with two minutes, and build it up.)

Fingers

Hold one hand out, in a fist.

Slowly open up the fist.

Stretch your fingers back as far as they can. Hold for a minute.

Repeat with your other hand. This can help with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Ankles

First sit with your legs straight out in front of you like you did in the legs stretch and twist your ankles in any shape or form (I like to do the abc's)

You can also sit with one leg in front of you and take the other ankle and rest it on your knee then grab your foot and twist your ankle.

7. Wrists

Sit on your knees and then you put your hands out like you are reading a book.

Then flip your hands onto the floor with fingers facing you, like "save the page"

You can also, after you do the stretch above, flip you hands in any way (fingers facing outward or inward to the side, whatever).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.