Grocer store bakeries: did you know???

I work in the bakery at Albertsons and we don't bake our cakes. Also none of the other grocery stores bake their cakes either (I know Vons, Ralphs, and Safeway don't, but I'm pretty sure the other ones don't either) They come in frozen wrapped in saran wrap and then we ice and decorate them. Whenever anyone finds out about this they look at me like "SERIOUSLY!??" and get all grossed out. I'm always a little bit amazed by this because I thought it was common knowledge that we don't bake them. I knew it, even before I started working there. If one really thinks about it, with the volume of cakes we have already made coupled with how many cake orders we get does it really seem feasible that we could bake that many cakes?

So my question is did you know this??? And how do you feel about it?

Also did you know we don't bake our pies, brownies, and about 90% of the other stuff we carry? And even the stuff we do bake we don't bake from scratch, it's all either partially baked frozen, or frozen dough.

I think the only places that still bake EVERYTHING are the little mom and pop bakeries.

title is supposed to say "grocery store" instead of "grocer store" lol

Favorite Answer

I FEEL SO DECEIVED! I THOUGHT THEY BAKED THEM. NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT I HAVE BEEN TO THE STORE AT ALL DIFFERENT HOURS AND IT NEVER SEEMED TO BE ANYONE BAKING. I ALWAYS SEE THE CAKES ALL PRETTY IN THE GLASS CASE AND THINK WOW THEY DID SUCH A NICE JOB ON THAT CAKE. BUT ALL ICING! THEY DIDNT DO CRAP! IM OFFENDED AND I WILL WRITE A LETTER TO CONGRESS REGARDING THIS MATTER! JUST KIDDING. I NEVER KNEW THAT BUT ITS COOL. THEY WOULD HAVE TO HIRE BAKERS AND THAT WOULD DRIVE THE PRICES UP.

I did know this & I think it's terrible!!! I used to work at a Giant food store & we used to think it was the weirdest thing because we'd get the pre-made sheets of cake in frozen & then we'd "stamp out" the shape of the cake that was requested using what looked like a large cookie cutter. Then we'd frost them/decorate them as requested. The only chain store that still bakes the majority of their items is Wegman's. Otherwise, you need to go to an actual bakery. But it's always a good idea to support your local neighborhood stores/shops. :)

Some stores continue to have "real" bakeries but they are hard to find. Our local Vons used to bake most of their stuff (they had real ovens) and yes you could smell the goodies baking.

Support your local baker, or learn to bake your own goodies, as like you wrote most store bakeries use pre-baked goods.

MA

the busybaker

I didn't know that. I generally make my own though, that's really good to know. I probably won't be buying sweets like that from a grocery store any time soon... that explains the 30 different ingredients used in one container of brownies too!

extremely some the time they are going to mark them down first element interior the morning. in the event that they might't sell them they unload them. I stay close to a shop, and locate some good deals, up till approximately lunchtime. I actually have a street to a landfill exterior my place and that i've got seen automobiles towing 8'x4' trailers with 4' severe cages on the lower back complete of packaged breads. i think of it incredibly is a damn shame as they may well be taken to shelters, nursing properties, nutrition kitchens and all of those places that place self assurance in donations. i'm specific they might use and distribute them PDQ.

I've never really thought about it. But I guess it makes sense. I think grocery store cakes are pretty good so it doesn't really bother me. I would rather have homemade but they are a good substitute.

Uhmmmm....Actually No I didn't know that! I would love to know who bakes Target's cakes they are wonderful!

i believe kroger bakes their own and uses the frozen ones as well.