Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

Where does oxygen come from?

This lab report is really getting me, if you know what I'm saying. But OK...I've got another question. So I know this: when you take a strip of magnesium and put it in fire, it gets all bright. And I know the formula for this reaction is 2Mg + O2 --> 2MgO. But what I don't know is where exactly does the oxygen come from? It may seem like a retarded question but I have my guesses...I just don't know if what I think is right...So...Help me please, some good person out there!

• Sugar
    Favorite Answer

plants

Oxygen comes from the cores of large stars. Once hydrogen is converted to helium through nuclear fusion inside the core, if the star is massive enough, the helium"ash" is converted to heavier elements, like carbon, oxygen, all the way up to iron, unless the star is really massive. Our oxygen on earth came from the solar nebula that surrounded our sun when it was a young star. When a star explodes, it populates the interstellar medium with molecule-rich clouds light years across, containing many different kinds of molecules, mostly hydrogen and O2. These molecular clouds ultimately condense to form new stars. The Great Nebula in Orion, an emission nebula, is a vast star-forming O2 region, for example. It is important to note that the so-called "Big Bang" did NOT create any oxygen. Oxygen came from the massive population 1 hydrogen stars created early on in the life of our universe.

The oxygen comes from the air. Air is made up of primarily 4 different elements: oxygen, nitrogen, carbon, and hydrogen. Wherever you are (on earth, not in outer space) there will be oxygen to react with the magnesium. There is even oxygen underwater which is why flares can last as long as they do underwater.

Oxygen comes from plants, trees, etc. Man breathes out carbon monoxide, plants breath it in, and release oxygen.

the oxygen is in the air, and when u burn the mg it reacts with the oxygen in the air. the oxygen and magnesium then form to form magnesium oxide. :D hope i helped

by plants and trees in day time during sunlight it give out oxygen

and in night it gives co2

you breath out carbon dioxide

the plants take that in to make food

and diposite oxygen

• it comes from the AIR.

from the atmosphere

plants