I have a lot of tightness in my legs and hips?

I had a spinal tumor removed about 3 months ago. now I am able to walk using a walker and a cane at Physical therapy. My main problem is the muscle tension around my knees. Is there any stretches that could help. I'm also using a muscle relaxer (baclofen) and it doesn't help much.

Talk to your therapist about trying this. Have them work your hamstrings. The more work done the more likely that the quads will relax. The therapist is going to have to be familiar with this technique to make it work. The key is not to overwork the hamstrings but use them enough to force the quads to relax. All the stretching in the world is not going to make them relax as there is just too much input coming from the nerves. If that technique doesn't work there is another one that can be tried. Have the therapist work the quads but this must be done using a high speed and variable resistance. The idea behind this is to fatigue out the quads thereby allowing them to quiet down. There have been a few studies that show both ways work but the therapist must know what they are doing with this.

Source(s): physical therapist

Without knowing you or examining you, this tightness is probably best explained by spasticity due to your lesion. This is due to damage to the central nervous system and baclofen is an appropriate way to manage this. Stretching will give you temporary help such as performing a quad stretch. It's possible you may be a candidate for other anti-spasmodics or perhaps a baclofen pump.

Source(s): I am a PT

I am concerned that you are still having problems despite taking the muscle relaxers. I recommend speaking with your doctor about this. Perhaps they could try a different muscle relaxer. The physical therapist should be able to give you exercises you can do to help things along.

• Tom C

I had this problem caused from nerve damage by blood clots. Narcotics didn’t help my pain. I now take Tizanidine 4mg 5/day and Lyrica Cv 100 mg 3/day. This helps the nerve pain and I can walk some now. I am feeling much better pain wise.