Question about solid stools in a breastfed infant?

Is a hard stool in a breastfed infant something to be concerned about even if the baby doesn't seem to be expieriencing any discomfort?

He's almost 8 months old, breastfed, and has been eating solid food for over a month now.

Favorite Answer

he's on solids so i wouldn't worry especially since he' s not in any pain- if it's hard little rick like pellets then you can be a little more worried. jsut nurse him a little more and it will soften up

• Afina

Nah. I wouldn't worry as long as he is still wetting several diapers a day. I breastfed my 2nd for a full year, no other foods what so ever and he had solid stools from 4 months on and the doctor said it was perfectly normal. That it was even normal for him not to have a bowel movement for 2-3 days as long as he was still wetting diapers on a regular basis, 4-8 a day and was not having any discomfort.

Now my new born, who is just 6 months, is fully breastfed as well but hasn't had a solid stool yet, still the usually expect mustard seedy dirty diapers. Once again, the doctor has told me all is well and good.

If he's on solids, then of course his stools will be hardening up. Only when they are solely breastfed are the stools more runny. Nothing to worry about.

His body is just trying to adjust to the change in his diet. As long as he is still pooping and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, let his body do it's natural thing and he should return to normal. Well, maybe not as normal as your used to. It will be more formed from now on, still mushy, but formed. When it comes out in like pellet like hard balls, then you will need to start adding more fiber to his diet.

• Pippin

Once baby is on some solids, he'll have more solid stools. It's normal.

Is it really hard, or just formed?

Formed poop isn't a huge concern, particularly if you are planning on weaning at 1 year (if you aren't it could be a sign you are giving too many solids)

Actual hard poop is a problem.

my daughter is 5 months and she has solid stools. i feel so bad for her cuz she has trubl with it. but once they start solids their bodies react differently so they do push out solid

once a baby starts eating solids he starts getting normal grown up-like poops.

Its normal.

Breast milk isnt a laxative, its just properly absorbed when all the baby gets, resulting in less poops, and softer poops.

food containing fiber equals roughage