geyamala asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

should marketeers use emotional or rational appeals in promoting their products?

Favorite Answer

It is said that for any rational/reasonable/logical approach to sales, the advertiser must also provide an "emotional hook" to hang it on. Thus one must use both emotional and rational arguments to make the sale.

It is also said, in advertising, "Don't sell the steak...sell the sizzle."

So it's not either/or, one or the other...it's both, in a balanced appeal that says "Here is a wonderful [car, soap, frozen meal, whatever] but that's not all...It will make YOU feel wonderful, and all your neighbors will be soooo jealous that you have one and they don't!"

It's been my advertising downfall in selling my books to assume that reasonable people would want to buy one or more, and all I have to do is say "This book has good advice." But that's not what people want...they want to know that my book will give them a better life, make them rich, get them more sex, etc. I guess I trust people to use their minds...when all the rules of advertising say that you must appeal to their emotions to make the sale!

When was the last time you bought a car just because it had a 1.2 liter engine or got 25 miles to the gallon? Nope...you bought it because the color appealed to you, and you could imagine people going "Ahhhh, wow..." as you drove by...

• enn

Frankly - if the Burger King guy even showed up in MY bathroom while I was taking a shower I would seriously take a baseball bat to his a$$. And then I would call the police for trespassing and illegal entry of my house. And then I would sue Burger King for violating my privacy just to try to sell me a 'heart-attack-on-a-bun".

If the Quaker Oat Statue appeared on my daughter's soccer field during a game I would have it removed from the field and the people who put it there forcibly ejected from the park and banned from the recreational facility for life.

I have never bought a bag of potato chips just because a hottie on a commercial ate one.

I bought Pepsi anyway, regardless of Cindy Crawford and the latest "what's-his-name" or "what's-her-name".

I'm glad I was able to sample Mon-A-Vie before I bothered to buy it so I could find out for myself it made everything in my digestive system come out from both ends.

I would much rather have a rational appeal than an emotional appeal. I don't care if the puppy is cute. A cute puppy does me no good if that auto insurance company refuses to honor my claim. I have switched from several name brands to off-brands or store brands when I have been turned off by poor advertising. I now go to Burger King as a LAST resort. I will go to the deli at the supermarket for fried chicken and jo-jo potatoes before I go to Burger King - even if it is the only national fast-food place in the small town in the middle of nowhere!

Both. You have to create a balance between appealing to the emotional side of the buyer(aesthetic value, able to relate to or identify with the product, personality, humor) but also the rational side that show functionality.

• Gary M

I prefer the rational approach but based on sales and elections, emotional is the way to go. There's a reason why sex sells...it couples emotions with the product.

With me personally, I would respond better to rational, while others would respond better to emotional.I think it depends on the market that is being appealed to.Rational appeals seem to be more respectful of the potential client.

Rational appeals? To the masses? HAH!

THIS WHAT HAPPEN USUALLY & IT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOU WANT TO SUCCESS.

customers are aware about it i guess!