Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I am getting a peekapoo and need to know if they are good with small children.?

i have a 1 year old and 5 year old in the house. Also we have to other dogs, will they get along?

Update:

We have a 1 year old and 5 year old. We also have 2 other dogs. will the dogs get along?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends. Peekapoos are mutts, first and foremost so they have zero predictable traits.

Secondly, only disreputable people breed mutts. People who don't know what they are doing. Considering they can't predict the temperament and they are not being extremely picky about what type of dog is being bred, there is a good chance you'll end up with a dog with a shoddy temperament. You might get a good one, you might get a bad one. It's really a gamble.

Now, nearly any breed of dog can be good with small children, if they are properly socialized. Good breeders breed for health and temperament. I'd advise you to come up with a breed that fits your lifestyle, (short or long hair, energetic or lazy) and then find a reputable breeder who does genetic health testing.

• I'm sorry, what is a peekapoo? Could it be a Peekingeese Poodle mix?

Well, there you go, that dog is a mutt.

Sure, if you get your mixed breed from a humane society or pound. These dogs are temperment tested, so you won't have any worries. If you get a dog from a breeder or pet store or BYB or puppy mill you will not be given a temperment test. However, with a rescue, you can rest easy knowing that the dogs were put through a very strict and thorough temperment testing process.

• Bree
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Probably not. The only people who breed 'peekapoos' are backyard breeders and mills. Which pretty much guarantees health problems and a poor temperament. Pekingese are stubborn and jealous, and known for aggression with other dogs. They aren't for families with small children and do well as one-person dogs. While the standard poodle is generally family oriented, you're likely to lose this quality because of poor parentage combined with the temperament of the pekingese. And this is assuming the dog is even from just these too lines. Because mutts have no set standards, and puppies don't necessarily look like they will a adults, it is easy for people to stick a popular 'designer' name on a mutt and sell it for ridiculous prices.

Don't waste your money on a glorified mutt. If you want a mix, thats great. Get one from a shelter. Otherwise, choose a real breed and buy from a reputable breeder.

• j
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

A what?

Anybody that answered your question with a "yes" or a "no" doesn't know anything about dogs or how genetic traits are passed on...

Knowing what a mutt's genetic predisposition is in regards to temperment is akin to guessing what the weather will be like four months from now; all you can do is make a guess.

In general, (I said "in general") smaller toy breeds do not do well with children, your little dog may or may not do well..I would lean towards not recommending this pet for your particular situation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Being that it's a mongrel, temperament is pretty much impossible to predict. No dog is automatically good with small children. It all depends on how well you train the dog AND the children.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the hell with ur pickachus , doggy-poos and st chihuahuas.

i hate those unexisting names

and anyway... how can i tell u if the dog will be good with children!!?

the dog is a mutt and crossbreed with who knows what breed of dog. u cannot even know how big will ur dog be even if u have mother and father of the puppy present.

• 1 decade ago

No, smaller dogs are not normally good with children, as children play rough and smaller dogs are often quite skittish and will bite. I recommend getting a dog that will be larger when fully grown, they're much better with children.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no way to tell, because it is a mutt. There is no way we could know what the temperament of a mutt is.

• 1 decade ago

no way to be sure of the temperament of a mixed breed.

• 1 decade ago

My friend has one and they has a little child. They are fine with children.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.