Can anyone tell the difference between Chemical Engineering and Materials Engineering? Thanks!?

I am unsure of which to major in, they seem very similar. Do they both produce new products? It seems Chemical engineers only invent the processes, so I'm slightly confused. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Chemical Engineers have such a broad range of skills. We learn a lot of processes such as distillation, absorption, leeching and membrane separation to name a few. We learn how to predict and tailor the outcomes of chemical reactions and synthesize chemicals. You could go industry and work for virtually any company that makes any product from food, fuel, to pharmaceutical drugs. A chemical engineer could even work as a materials engineer.

As a materials engineer you study properties of materials such as strength, ductility, hardness, conductivity and many more. You use your knowledge of math and science to improve these properties. You could Develop a stronger garbage bag or improve the strength of a car frame.

I would go Chemical. They are more in demand, make more money in most cases, and you'll have more choices. Personally, if there was a degree that provided you with the widest array of knowledge in how the world works i would say its Chemical Engineering.

However, if you had a lot of difficulty In Chemistry 1,2 or Calculus 1, 2, and 3 then Chemical Engineering might be impossible. I got A's in everyone of those classes (B in Clac 3) and I have to work hard to pull C's in my engineering classes.

Source(s): Junior in Chemical Engineering

Materials Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering

• Martha

Chemical engineers in a working environment often work on the production process of compounds, including all equipment, reactions, and lab preparation. Materials science is somewhat similar, but focuses more upon the discovery, rather than the production, of new compounds and materials. In other words, the materials science major discovers it, and the chemical engineering major makes it. My brother had to make the same distinction last year.

CHEMICAL ENGINEER: he applies his chemistry knowledge to the process of converting raw materials or chemicals into more useful or valuable forms. In addition to producing useful materials, chemical engineering is also concerned with pioneering valuable new materials and techniques, an important form of research and development. A person employed in this field is called a chemical engineer.

MATERIALS ENGINEER: Materials engineers are responsible for the research, specification, design and development of materials to advance technologies of many kinds. Their expertise lies in understanding the properties and behaviours of different materials from raw materials to finished products. The role is often designated 'materials technologist' or 'materials scientist' rather than materials engineer.

they're largely the same i guess, so it's really upto you to choose which. but i'd strongly recommend you to take chemical engineering. it just seems a good choice and more career opportunities exist for a chemical engineer graduate than a materials graduate.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): difference chemical engineering materials engineering thanks: https://tinyurl.im/Pe2HL