Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Republicans, when Palin taxes oil companies and redistributes the money to the Alaskan citizens.......?

What do we call that? To me, that sounds like redistribution of wealth. Seeing that most of you love her I would like to know why it's ok to take money from those corporations and give it away to those lazy citizens. That sounds like socialism to me.

BTW, I think it's great she does it. I just want to know what you think since you criticize Obama for proposing the EXACT SAME THING.

This is why I'm asking. Please tell me the difference. If I knew the difference I wouldn't be asking.

Since corporations are run and owned by citizens then they are taking money from citizens and redistributing the wealth. It seems like there's barely a difference to me. No offense.

If Obama made the oil companies give back to ALL of America instead of just Alaska that would be socialism too, right?

Favorite Answer

If South Chicagoans were receiving the payments that Alaskans do, I am positive that Republicans would criticize and attack this program.

Hypocrites.

.

• Bryan

Palin did not increase taxes on oil companies and redistribute the profits. Alaskans benefit from payments related to mineral rights which are owned by the people of Alaska. Palin did increase the payouts based on higher than expected revenues under this plan. She also suspended the 8 cent tax on gas. Now the only question would be. Do those royalties belong to the state or people, The answer is that they do belong to the people. However, the state being the representative of the people gets to decide their usage.

In the broadest sense of the word it is a redistribution of wealth and although slightly different than the Obama plan it is still the same at a core level.

The comedians had a field day with that one for about a week after her "spreading the wealth" speech characterizing Obama as a socialist. But, our government has been redistributing wealth since it created the tax code. It takes money from taxpayers and redistributes it to the military, social programs, infrastructure, unemployment, social security and other budget items. That is why they created the tax code and the IRS as a collection agency in the first place.

It is a socialistic redistribution of wealth.

And the Alaskans love it.

The only difference between Obama and her is the scale of the redistribution.

Source(s): The Force!

Actually it's called the Alaskan Permanent Dividend Fund and was set up while Palin was still in high school I'd guess.

It works like mineral rights-

Not like socialism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund...

http://www.iser.uaa.alaska.edu/iser/people/Scott/R...

• rhino

The oil companies made a deal long before Palin was e

• beren

That money comes from the other 49 states when we fill up at the gas pump. It is not redistribution of wealth, since the wealth does not come from Alaska. It is stealing from the rest of the US.

Apples and oranges ...Chief .....

It's NOT the exact same thing...Obama wants to take money from citizens that earned it...and give that money to citizens that did not earn it.....

Alaskan CITIZENS (NOT THE BOTTOMLESS PIT IN D.C.) got a rebate on product harvested from their state.

Residents in the state own property rights to the oil and these property rights were put into effect long before she came along. It is not consistent with wealth redistribution.

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT the same thing that Obama wants to do. THat being said, are you finally admitting that Obama wants to scoialize the oil industry? HA!

ADD: The difference is, the oil companies are not being taxed to be given to someone else who didnt earn it. The people of Alaska are in effect part owners of the oil (because it is being taken from their property that they own) and they get a return on the profit the companies make.

Hmmm.... you act like she did that all on her own.... you do realize that that was a policy that was in effect before she even took office right? She modified the existing severance tax, which works more or less like a sales tax on resources taken out of the ground. (A windfall profit tax, of course, is based on profits.)

• phil

it isn't like that,they are paying them for the oil,it belongs to the people of alaska,it is their profit off of it