Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

What statistical calculations could i use? ?

im doing something on statistics- comparing males and females at something. im trying to find whose estimated were more accurate- male or female. ive used standard deviation, mode, median, mean...none of that is actually answering my question. i cant use correlation coeficient (or can i?) because im comparing a set of numbers to a category (male/female) what else can i do to answer my question? help!! please im desparate? could i use chi2?


and whats the confidence interval? i dont really care if i get reliable answers, i have 15 males/females. its a school project, i cant have 10 000 haha.

2 Answers

  • ??????
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    What you really need is a sample size given a

    certain confidence interval.

    You need to know if there is a significant difference

    between the estimates of males and females.

    Take for instance 95 % confidence and 1 %

    deviation, then you need to know how many

    samples you need to take to have a significant

    different number. I can tell you that sample sizes

    can be tremendously big ! You typically have to

    take 10,000 samples with 95% confidence and

    1 % tolerated deviation.

    The sample size can be calculated exactly with

    a C program or roughly with Z - value.

    The point is if you only have a few hundreds of

    sample data, you cannot be certain about the

    difference between males and females !!!!!!

    Take for instance a coin toss. You would want to find

    out if a coin is fair by throwing only 15 times. This is

    not possible ! Confidence is that you are e.g. 95 %

    certain that the real P[head] is between

    [outcome - tolerated deviation, outcome + tolerated diff.]

    But for 95 % (usual taken value) you need to throw

    thousands of times with 1% tolerated deviation !

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Honestly, the easiest thing you can do is take a confidence interval. It depends on exactly what you are measuring (different things can be expected to have different distributions), but often a simple confidence interval using the t-distribution, or even the normal distribution, will suffice. The category that has the confidence interval with the smallest width is that for which the estimate is most accurate.

    There are a number of other methods you can use - you can for example use an F-test to determine whether the standard deviations of the two samples are statistically different from each other. I think that the confidence interval approach is however sufficient for this.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.