Do you leave your bottled hot sauce at room temperature, or do you put it in the fridge?

I was wondering if people put their bottled hot sauce i.e. TAPATIO, TABASCO, CHOLULA in the fridge once opened or do you leave it out at room temperature. I know the base for these is vinegar and that preserves them to some degree. I have left mine out on the counter several times and have noticed that they start turning dark after a while. How long can you leave out before it goes bad or does it ever go bad?

Best Answer

I keep it at room temperature. There are very few microbes that can really survive and thrive in a bottle of hot sauce-- the amount of salt and acidity makes it very difficult for most organisms to survive.

• tracy

Just to be on the safe side, I keep my hot sauce in the refrigerator.

And because the label says to refrigerate after opening and shake well before using.

• MARIE

You can actually do both, However if you are using the hot sauce for fried foods or warm foods you might want it at room temperature and the opposite for cold foods.

I put mine in the fridge but my mom she leaves it out due that the hot sauce loses its heat in the fridge. I dont find that it does tho.

I keep mine in the refridgerator because I prefer cold hot sauce.

I put mine in the fridge, it just keeps better for a longer period of time

I use Cholula (yum!) and I leave it at room temperature (as do most Mexican eateries).

Room Temp for us