~Erica~ asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

I have 2 rats and they ALWAYS wrestle and wind up hurting themselves! How do I get them to stop?!?

They are sisters and are only 9 weeks old.

Favorite Answer

buy another cage....

Source(s): my brain!

I've got two female rats and they fight and 'box' as well. It's normal for rats to fight and play, sometimes they do draw blood. What they are trying to do is establish cage dominance. They'll continue to fight until one of them comes out 'on top'. They should be fine.

However, if they keep fighting and it seems to escalate into something more than just boxing, I suggest you separate them for a while. When I introduce a new rat into my colony, I put them in a neutral smelling area, and put a little tuna juice on their backs. It's usually a way to bond (and rats can't resist cleaning each other!)

If one of them gets cut or sore from fighting, be sure to clean it and pay attention that it doesn't get infected and abscess. If it does, take your ratty to the vet to get the abscess checked out and lanced.

I'm sure everything will be ok, though:) My rats do the same thing, and they're doing fine.

Source(s): Personal experience

I used to have two rats, and they always wrestled. This is because one is obviously the dominant male or female out of the two. As long as they aren't hurting eachother then thats fine, but i had to separate my two and it was hard work and they missed eachother.

Unless they are drawing blood they are fine. Rats will wrestle - it's the way they play. Sometimes they get a little too agressive but unless one gets seriously hurt, I would just let them be.

Source(s): rat mommy

I have 3 sisters, they still fight after a year, it's somthing they do...at times I think the biggest of the three is trying to dominate the other two, however sometimes it's the other who start something, don't worry about it...I take they have been sexed properly & you've definately got two females?

nicely positioned brother, i idea this raw change into between the perfect episodes i have considered all year lengthy. It change into an quite good time remembering the legends who help form the pastime. an quite good mix of former and cutting-aspect stars. I recorded very last evening episode , and am no longer making plans to list over it, no longer too frequently you've a PPV high quality coach on widely used T.V.

i have 2 male dumbo rats they are a few mnths old they ALWAYS fight i mean not jus play fight they squeel bite nip scream screech bite each others fur out u name it but they still live with each other never put them in seprate cages they mite get worse there jus play fightin there tryin 2 find out hus stronger in my case butters as hes a lot stockier as he doesnt come out as much he lok scruffy but soft lol he likes 2 leap at remy but remy runs off and cower 2 me but then goes bak after a rest for more its wot rats do i wouldnt worry unless theyre pullin limbs off!! lol hope this helps

Source(s): i love rats.com

Are they just playing? Animals always look more aggressive when at play than humans do.

Try separate cages if the problem gets worst- they made just want their own territory.

If they draw blood you should seperate them for a while. If not, they are just goofing around....

if they are just playing they are fine if blood is drawn PUT THEM IN A DIFFERENT CAGE! i had two hamsters i had to separate them.

• As soon as they start, shout BOO!

They get startled and they should stop :)