Are Christian fundamentalists making other Christians look bad?

There are fundamentalists in every religion and I really feel like they are tainting the real meaning behind religion. Do you think this is true? Like not all muslims are terrorists in fact Islam is a very peaceful religion but it is also fairly young compared to others and it has to evolve somewhat just like Christianity has because there were beliefs back in the day that were pretty radical.

I don't ever recall talking about Athiests so I would suggest reading the question.

Sam P: I have nothing against bible readers I don't know what your reading in the question I was not ripping on Christians I was talking about people that are fundamentalists that take things to the extreme. If you take what I say that far out of context then maybe you are the one that needs help.

Favorite Answer

All fundies make the other

believers or non believers

look bad

The reason I answered this

is because I see it from both sides

Source(s): Former Christian Now Atheist

I would say yes, the 'fundamentalists' are those who sincerely believe in the bucket-of-nails given to use by those who translate the Bible. That book is much more moderate in the original writings.

In technical terms I am very fundamentalist because I check what the original writing of the Bible teach and I pretty much ignore the English translations. When I started doing that a lot of the scary and puritanical views taught by 'fundamentalist' groups went away.

• Shinji

The same christians who attend service on sunday morning also are the ones who:

1.Cuss their neighbor in the parking lot as they leave church because they are not moving fast enough.

2.Walk out of the restaurant they went to after church without paying the bill because the restaurant was too busy.

3.Abuse or neglect their spouse and/or children in some way or other.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. Christains, be they fundamentalists or other, do a fabulous job of making Themselves look bad.

If people are going to be christain, it should be Every day, not only the two hours on sunday they are at church.

Source(s): Raised and baptized in the Church of Christ.
  • elyon

The term fundamentalist (in my thinking) refers to a christian whose faith and doctrine and worship is according to the word of God and not tradition or human authority. Many of the "churches" today are telling us what they believe instead of what the Bible says. I am a fundamentalist, a Baptist, and I love the Lord Jesus Christ. Those that do not or choose ANY other way to get to know God are on a path to eternal seperation from God. How's that for narrow minded fundamentalism?

If people would rather base their opinions off of an individual who is way out in left field, rather then do research into the subject or issue themselves, there's not much I can do to convince them that their perception may be off. All I can do is live life the best way I can, and hope it might somehow influence a person's perception in a positive way.

No I don't see how they are tainting the religion I see how the Atheists are working constantly to undermine Christianity though --- so you would rather blame the Christians for this?

Fundamentalists for any cause usually make the less extreme look like nuts.

Yes! I am a Christian and at times I am ashamed of my fellow Christians. They are tainting Christianity with their hell and fiery sermon talks, etc..... Jesus' greatest commandments is to love one another and these fundamentalists don't preach much love, in my opinion.

In America we tend to discount Fundies, but they tend to make the rest of the World think that all Americans are knuckle-draggers.

there are many fundies who are not extremists (westbro for example).

no one makes me look bad but myself. if people want to judge me by other peoples actions and words then they are the ones that are lost.