JFK assassination -opinions?

This is a survey, just opinions on what you think ? lone gunman or conspiracy ? thanks

• Mutt
    Favorite Answer

Was it a conspiracy? I don't know. But I do think the government wanted to close the case as quickly as possible, and after they found enough evidence that pointed to Oswald, they said he did it. Why? Because it was part of the healing process for the country. They needed to have closure, and this provided it.

Did Oswald really do it, and was he alone? I don't know. I do know that after visiting Dealey Plaza in person, a lot of the alternate theories do make some sense.

• I find it VERY difficult to believe that a lone gunman, using an old bolt-action rifle and shooting at a going-away moving target could place 3 bullets into a fairly small area in such a short/fast period of time.

When I was in the Army, I qualified as 'Expert' with an M-14, a modern gas-operated rifle that shoots semi-automatic (or it can be shot on full-automatic, if the 'selector' switch is moved to 'auto').

'Expert' is the top of 3 classes of shooter, marksman and sharpshooter being the lowest and medium classes. So, as Oswald was called a 'sharpshooter' it's really no great shakes.

The most likely scenario that I can see as being viable is that another shooter was in the same location but on another floor or the same floor but a different window of the Texas Book Depository Building.

What non-shooters don't realize is that several things happen when you shoot a bolt-action rifle that has a telescopic sight:

*the recoil of the rifle makes the shooter lose the 'sight-picture' as the rifle 'bucks' ( = recoils);

*that's because the rifle barrel moves up and away from the target;

*it takes time to lower the rifle to the target, then takes time to re-find the target again in the telescope, which has a small field-of-view, and the target is moving away the whole time;

*the first shot is likely, therefore, to be the only accurate shot;

*the time that it takes to 'work' the bolt to eject the spent shell and feed in another round by cycling the bolt into the loaded position, then regain the 'sight picture' to refocus and accurately hit the moving target with the second shot is several seconds, at the very least;

*and the third shot is even harder to place accurately, since the target is even farther away, and moving away.

Given that Oswald probably went through the Marine Corps shooting an M-1 Garrand, a semi-automatic gas-operated rifle (similar to its descendant, the M-14), his lack of familiarity with bolt-action rifles and telescopic sights, much less the lack of experience of actually repetitively practicing with one, only suggests to me, and probably / most likely to other shooters with experience shooting both types of weapons, is that Oswald could NOT have pulled off what I would call, notwithstanding the sad results of that day, this "miracle of marksmanship."

Bottom line, it would take a LOT of practice just to be able to hit a stationary paper target, using Oswald's old bolt-action 'scoped rifle accurately and quickly. On a moving, going away at an angle target, shooting fast and straight? NO WAY. PERIOD.

As to who did it and why, we'll likely never know.

I came across a very interesting book by Richard Condon (the author of "The Manchurian Candidate") called "Winter Kills" which was later made into a movie. The book, of course, goes into greater detail as to motive, etc., but the movie contains some good visual representations as to how the plot is developed and carried out. I'm NOT saying that it's a real explanation as to what happened, but it IS an interesting theory and NOT out of nor beyond the realm of reality. Are ya gettin' a little tingle?

Okay, okay: here's a plot summary:

JFK's father is approached by the representative of Texas oil-men. The oil-men are severely pissed-off because JFK wants to do away with the "oil depletion allowance" (that's true!) which was a huge money-maker for the oil guys. So they tell "Honey Fitz" that he has a choice: JFK will be assassinated, but the father can set up his own son's death by whatever means he chooses, but if he goes beyond the oil-men's time limit, he'll be killed THEIR way. The only way to find out what happens is to read the book first, THEN see the movie.

I'm not big on conspiracies, but the whole JFK thing stinks. And I do NOT blame the Warren Commission, they were bumblers and only 'digested' what they were fed, being eager to put the whole tragedy behind them, understandably.

Well, good luck and good hunting.

By the way: Condon also wrote another book that has NOTHING to do with anything we just discussed: "An Infinity of Mirrors." A good read.

Source(s): . Don't taze me, bro. .

There was Oswald 6xth floor as the decoy with the carcano

Baby face Diaz and spotter on 3rd floor as the real assassins with a Mauser

And the accidental discharge of an AR-15 from the secret service follow up car

Oswald 1st shot hit the pave ment behind and to the right of the limo....2 small pieces ricocheted up and struck Kennedy in the back of the head "My God I'm Hit!" he said

The spotter and Diaz fired the second shot which went through Kennedy's back and into Gov. Connolly

Oswald fire a second shot and misses again , a fragment cracks the limo windshield and the rest hits a man standing under the triple overpass

A secret service agent stands up in the follow up car and loses is balance and the AR-15 discharges twice...the first shot explodes Kennedy's head and the second shot hits the grassy nole causes a puff of dirt

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED....now you know

Read "Mortal Error"...explains it all.....no conspiracy theory , just good science and ballistics

• Laser

Oswald did it. He acted alone.

People believe in conspiracies because they believe a bunch of stupid factoids that have gotten out into the mainstream public's collective consciousness.

You can't believe one word in the movie JFK.

http://www.jfk-online.com/jfk100menu.html

The idea that LBJ had something to do with it--totally and completely absurd.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/holland3.htm

QUOTE:

END QUOTE

And another thing that "non-shooters" (as described) don't realize is that the shooter has to track his target before the shot. This makes a shot from the grassy knoll *impossible*.

"...there is no clear shot at the middle lane of Elm Street [where the limousine was] until the instant of the head shot, allowing for no earlier shots or tracking of the moving target. It turns out that the intended victim is obscured by road signs and a white retaining wall about ten feet in front of the fence..."

http://www.jfk-online.com/jfk100shot5b.html

conspiracy. Johnson signed the death warrant. Oswald was a patsy

It was already proven that it was lone gunman.

They shot dummies from the same locations and the damage was very similar.

They shot them from all possible alternative locations and the damage was very different.

Case Closed.

• whimsy

It was staged...

JFK was never killed and MArilyn Monroe did not OD on drugs...

Both deaths were faked so the two could elope and live happily ever after on a small PAcific Isle

ITS A HOAX DEDICATED TO THE MASTER OF PERCEPTION WHO DIED NOV 22 1963.....ALDOUS HUXLEY....HE WORKED FOR WALT DISNEY ON THE ALICE PROJECT ...WHEN HE DIED, SO DID THE KING OF HEARTS IN THE HEART OF TEXAS....WHEN YOU REVERSE ENGINEER THE ACTIONS OF LEE AND ALICE,YOU SEE IT LEADS UP TO THE KING OF HEARTS DEATH AND COVER UP WITH BOGUS SHOOTING...I LOVE THE HOAX HOAX DEDICATED TO THE MASTER OF PERCEPTION....

conspiracy - no doubt about it

• Jack X

IT WAS DONE BY MULTIPLE LONE GUNMEN