To all Americans and Canadians: are there differences between American and Canadian accents?

And can you tell when a person is either American or Canadian through the accents?

Favorite Answer

haha

oh yeeeah. I can immediately spot the odd one out.

its hard to describe, the differences. but i just, simply know.

It really depends on the part of Canada as opposed to the part of the US, because I live very close to the Canadian border and we all sound the same just over.

• Buzzy

Very big differences. Some Candians speak French (quebec) so they have french accents of course. Then, there are Americans and Americans who have different accents, ie North / South / Midwest.

Source(s): I can usually tell the difference, but sometimes it can be very similar, too.
  • Yes. Northeast Ohio is the only place in the world without an accent. Yep. You bet...

I can tell the difference, not all the time but sometimes when a Canadian says been it sounds like bean, or when they say about it sounds like aboot.

Canadians say "Eh?" Us Americans (mostly in New York) say "AY, I'M WALKIN' HERE!" hahaha, either that or "What the hell are you looking at?" I'm sure Canadians can be pretty mean too though, just to be fair.

Source(s): Bosco, I gotta disagree with you, I'm from Missouri and people tell me I don't even have an accent (quite an accomplishment when all your relatives and many people at school have a hickish, southern accent).
  • RO35

I can tell us from some Americans. We say "aboot" and "eh" alot. Americans have varied accents from the southern drawl to "fogget aboud it" from NY.

Americans say OUT the PROPER WAY, like OW in OUCH.

yes - the way we say words with "ou" in them...

like the word "about"

Canadians make it sound like "aboat"

Uhhhh....people are people.i don't really care about their accents unless it's annoying.