when people profess that they are saved...?

aren't they denying god judgment over their souls? i know i'll probably get a hundred responses referring to john 3:16, but still, isn't the decision still in god hands? to simply assume that you are saved because you accepted jesus seems a little judgmental, to me anyways.

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think it is a bit arrogant.

• 1 decade ago

No, they are simply professing their belief in a heresy. There is not guarantee of salvation and certainly not by a one time profession of faith. John 3:16 certainly does not support their view but in fact supports the more orthodox view that we approach our salvation with fear and trembling. Salvation is taught in the Bible as a process. John 3:16 when understood properly says that one must continue to believe to be saved suggesting that we must endure. The Greek word for believeth is a continuing verb and this is an often misunderstood Scripture that the OSAS people like to quote without even understanding what if really says. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Faith means "trust and obedience" not "belief."

Righteous means "faith in God."

I don't know enough Greek to really parse the John 3:16 with regards to what "believe" really means, but even the demons believe.

I would never presume to assume I or anyone else is or is not saved.

Revelation 20:11-15 says that everyone written in the Book of Life WILL BE JUDGED according to his works and everyone NOT written in the Book of Life will be cast into the lake of fire, along with Hades (or "Hell"), and Death (this is the second death).

I have no idea where, scripturally, anyone can support the idea that he or she will not be judged. I'd love to see it.

You WILL be judged, according to your works. That is what the Bible says.

The Word of God, Yeshuah (Jesus), the Messiah, will intercede for you, having already paid the penalty.

Bless up.

• 1 decade ago

(Matthew 24:13) 13 But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.

Jesus never taught once saved always saved.

(John 3:16) 16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

Notice that there has to be an exercise of faith. You have to work on it to build it up. If you really believe in something you share it so God is telling us to share our faith with others.

(Matthew 28:18-20) 18 And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, you are right in regard that we should not say that we are, rather we ought to say that we have the hope of salvation. For me to say that I am good enough is arrogance, not confidence; and God hates arrogance. Too many suppose of an automatic salvation, because they have been falsely so taught; but the truth is our salvation is kept by the power of God through faith, that is, through our continual reliance on God and His Word, and as long as we continue in His goodness, otherwise we shall also be cut off; this is what is written, and is not an imaginary concept apart from what is written. As for John.3:16; God is saying that He loves mankind so, that He is giving us this one last chance to reform our lives through faith in His Son Jesus Christ; through reliance on His sacrifice for our sins. Mere saying that we rely on His Word, and actually being reliable to His Word, are two entirely different things; becuase mere saying that Jesus is our Lord is meaningless without doing the things which He says.

• 1 decade ago

It isn't a matter of US denying God judgment on our souls. The whole concept of grace centers on God providing a solution (Christ), allowing us to * avoid * punishment.

Christ provides the solution for God's perfect love AND His perfect justice. The substitution of Christ's death covers the justice required for transgression.

Unless we are absolutely sure of our salvation through the work of Christ, how, exactly, will you approach God? With arrogance, because you think you are good enough on your own? Or with fear, because you are scared that you are NOT good enough?

Christ solves that dilemma. We have assurance of salvation (freedom from fear) through Christ's work (no room for arrogance).

--- added ----

RAC's interpretation of Matt 7:21-23 is used by works-based Christians to support their point of view. There are other ways this can be interpreted. Your "thumbs down" are because your works-based interpretation does not jibe with other passages, in which faith-based salvation is abundantly clear.

• Marvin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Hi,brother:The decision is yours to make not GODs.There are two kinds of salvation one true one false and by accepting true salvation one can avoid GODs judgment.True salvation is accepting Christ and knowing that he accepts you just as you are and the chang that will take place in your life as a result of it.False salvation is asking without change.See the difference?I hope I made some sense to you concerning this.

Source(s): 20yrs of service.
  • 1 decade ago

God is a God of judgment AND mercy. We are all worthy of death, but God gave His son as a sacrifice to make atonement for the death we deserved, because that's how much He loves us. All we have to do is acknowledge that fact, and salvation and freedom from judgment is ours. How is that judgmental? It is what God desires for all His creation.

"...how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" Luke 13:34

• 1 decade ago

God's love: "God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved" (Ephesians 2:4-5). "When the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior…" (Titus 3:4-6)

Source(s): Salvation as an on-going process: "To us who are being saved, (the word of the cross) is the power of God" (1 Cor. 1:18). The original text of this passage in Greek has present-tense σῳζομένοις (being saved), not perfect-tense σεσῳσμένοις (having been saved) or past-tense (aorist-tense) σῳθεῖσιν (saved); ambiguous translations such as "us which are saved" (KJV) obscure this. Salvation as yet to be obtained: "Since, therefore, we are now justified by (Christ's) blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God" (Romans 5:9).
  • 1 decade ago

There is no judgment on Christians. We are all accountable, but His mercy makes it possible for us to be saved

Mercy is a great gift and it is offered to all people. It is your choice if you do not take that offer and you subject yourself to the judgment instead

Free will means that you get to choose. However, free will is always within God's limits. You have a lot of choices here on earth, but what comes to the eternal life, the choice is between hell and heaven.

God chooses eternal choices, but if you do not choose heaven, then it is a choice of hell for you.

• 1 decade ago

I think the more correct statement is they are professing to know the mind of God.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.