When dating or married to the opposite sex, do you think it's more important to understand your partner or?

to know that their differences have value even if you have no idea where they are coming from?

Pregnant: well said, could it be that that is one of the biggest problems between heterosexual relationships and how do you bridge the gap?

Favorite Answer

Finding a compatible partner is one of the bigger challenges out there, and it's impossible to fully understand them. For instance, my husband tolerates the fact that I enjoy, in spite of myself, Project Runway and will even sit and watch with me. Which of course means that when he's watching Man U vs Liverpool, I'm stuck in the living room with him and trying to get interested in the incessant running up and down the field. What motivates his love of soccer? No idea. What motivates my love of fashion? He's clueless. But, and here's the key part - we're both willing to accept and compromise for each other, and if there's an issue bigger then what to watch on cable tonight, we talk it out. Understand your partner's hot buttons, needs, wants, and motivations as much as humanly possible and make sure that they understand yours - never, EVER assume a man will notice a not-so-subtle hint!

• gatti

I appreciate your perspective, despite the fact that I do not trust one of the most matters you stated. Dating may also be irrational, sure, however I consider all people demands love! Ask your self, what's the factor of existence? Look round you for one second. Love is facet of nature, it isn't simply chemical substances in our mind, it is our cause. Every organism at the face of the Earth reproduces and has offspring. Also, personally, who cares what love is brought about by way of? It makes you believe well. I imply, like are you going to tuition to get an schooling? I can let you know I'm striving to do whatever in university in order that I would possibly someday land myself a tight process, marry a lovely lady and lift a household. That's my target, no longer definite if I will achieve it, however anyhow, I consider that love is major. If you grow to be disadvantaged of it, you are going to emerge as like me -_- within the experience that you're going to believe so absolutely on my own many times.

Differences can make a relationship stronger - if they are capitalized upon...

I think its vital to go into a marriage with the understanding that your partner is different, and comes to the relationship via a different path. Valuing those differences and appreciating their path is vital for a mature and respectful relationship. In so doing - you will accomplish both the choices you offer....

I sat and thunked and I couldn't decide. Both are really important in a relationship! You need to understand your spouse, but you also need to respect their differences and value them even when you don't know where they're coming from. I can't decide which is more vital though. Not understanding them leads to serious frustration and misunderstandings. Not respecting their differences makes for a very one-sided relationship that probably won't last (and will be miserable). Which is worse?

Depends if you want a peaceful or unpeaceful relationship. But for a peaceful relationship to exist, I think it is important for both parties in the relationship to understand each other. Each of us are unique in our own way(s) and merging these uniqueness into one is absolutely on a different level. A level where both parties must gain and value the fact that in order to keep the relationship healthy? They must mesh together.It's not any more "Your way or My way" but now Our way. A whole different unique lifestyle on an advanced level.

• Kit

I don't think I would ever understand someone completely. Nobody can really. I believe tolerance and acceptance to be vital for a good relationship though and therefore yes yes yes on the second part of your question.

To understand. If I'm in a relationship with someone then I want a partner, a friend, not a stranger I don't understand. I'm quite similar to my boyfriend in many ways and I like that we can empathise with each other.

I think your point is well taken. Both would be preferable, but to acknowledge one's differences and values is important.

Yes, communication and understanding each other is key.

Yes I agree.