♥NYmommy♥ asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

will our guinea pig be okay?

we are going away from wednesday night to saturday afternoon. i have nobody to watch her and we can't take her with us.

i asked the people at petco and they said she will be fine as long as you double up on everything.

what do you guys think?? i am worried.

BASEBALL~ its not that i was asking peoples opinions. maybe somebody has experinced that before or whatever. and u didn't have to answer the question!! thanks!

Favorite Answer

I think that is a bit to long....I wouldn't leave mine alone for that long. Because they need daily excercise and you wouldn't be able to provide your gp's with that. Also you wouldn't be able to feed your veggies and fruits to your guinea pigs daily which they also need for vitamin c. Also their timothy hay may run out and hay should always be provide no matter what. I realize you can't take her with you but maybe if you tried asking neighbors or friends that you trust near your house you could get them to just come over once a day and check on her and let her out to have floor time for like 30 min. This is what I advise...hope I helped!!!

Source(s): Owner of 2 guinea pigs

Wow. That is a really long time to leave your piggie alone. Are you sure there isn't a friend, neighbor, church member, relative, school teacher you know, nearby vet, etc. that can come by & at least check on her?

If not, be sure you practically FILL the cage with food (pellets & hay) and have two large water bottles available for her. Give her her veggies right before you leave.

I'm sure you are a bit worried about her. I would be too. I've never been able to leave my piggies for more than 30 hours without having to make arrangements for someone to check on them. Sorry you're in that situation. Hope everything turns out okay.

Source(s): Mum to 24 piggies.

Get an extra water bottle (a big one) and plenty of food, timothy hay, etc...She will be fine (and don't ask the people at petco anything in the future, the vast majority of them are uneducated about the animals they sell or just don't care!)

Source(s): guinea pig owner :0)

I did this a few months ago, and I'm doing it again tomorrow. Doubling up is a great idea. I recommend buying a 32 ounce water bottle (one of the biggest out there) and a gravity feeder. Your guniea pig will do fine.

just give it lots of food. i would put the cage you have in a large cage or box with air holes. Most critters can escape if they try hard even through locks that come standard on many cages. my freinds use a padlock you can find at a hardware store

i did it when i had a rabbit.

I would say so. There's no need to worry just as long as u leave plenty of food, and maybe ( if he/she drinks alot) consider buying a bigger water bottle. I have done it before with my rats. And they were fine. :)

that is 3 day. I'd get someone to at least check on her. Maybe you can ask some neighborhood kids or something.

make sure you give it plenty of bedding in case it gets cold

my friend did something similar with her hamster and it was hibernating when she got back because it got to cold

It should be fine. Just give it bowls of food, and if you can put two water bottles just in case it runs out.

you are going to really have to sock up. You really shouldn't leave them that long alone but yeah