Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesScion · 1 decade ago

On Any 2008 & 2009 Scions? What Is the best mileage to get the first oil change done?

I got a 2009 Scion XB, I read on the owner's manual that the first oil change should be done in 5,000 miles or 5 months. Should I do it on 3,000 miles or 5,000 miles?

Favorite Answer

If the manual says 5 months of 5,000 miles then do it. The original factory oil often has things in their to help with a proper break in. Changing it early not only gets rid of it you also just got rid of perfectly good oil and wasted your money.

Nobody knows the car better than the company that designed and built it. They know if something goes wrong the warranty means they pay for it. So obviously they feel pretty strongly that this is best for them and your car.

• Ken H

I recommend a non detergent oil to 500 miles to seat the rings into the cylinders. The change to a multi-grade (20/50) to 3000 miles, and every 3000 after that.

• It should be done on either 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first

I would say 3,500 miles you shoud do your first oil change. If you do alot of driving every day it should be done in 3,500 miles. In 5,000 miles you will be out of oil and your engine could be damaged.