Does anyone else suffer visual distortions pre-Migraine headaches?

I always get these distortions in my vision...start out as a small blind spot then gradually increases into a sort of semi-circle distortion that fades away and then I get a headache. Sometimes the headache is very mild or is absent completely

Favorite Answer

Aura or a prodome are common for classic migraine. This may include loss of vision, or vision disturbances including flashing lights, or "seeing things". Some people may have loss of speach or weakness, cold extemeties, nausea, vomiting, etc. Just because you have the aura doens't mean you'll get the headache, and you may still get the headache without aura. Sounds like you may have ocular migraine.

The Wikipedia article on migraine is a very easy read and quite comprehensive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraines

Some other migraine resources:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/migraine/migrai...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache...

There are literally thousands of migraine resources on the web.

It is best to have all visual disturbances assessed by a neurologist or physician, "just to be sure", even though it does sound like you are having migraine symptoms. While migraines are not mini-strokes, TIAs (or mini-strokes) can have very similar symptoms. It's always best to err on the side of caution.

Source(s): Long-time migraine sufferer who also loses vision

I have suffered with migraines for a long time. Ibuprofen never works for me. Excedrin does work, but I also have a prescription for Imetrix nasal spray. It is wonderful and within 20 minutes I feel much better. The nasal spray works fast! Last year I was able to go to the lake after only 2 hours! I was amazed. My headaches are so bad that I can barely move or even talk. I have a neurologist friend and he said there is new stuff out there that could help, but I haven't gone yet to see what that is. The key, of course, is to find the trigger and avoid that. For me that is stress and lack of sleep. I can take care of these things, but the hormonal issue is something that can't be helped to much. Good luck. I feel bad for anyone who has this problem, because I really suffer!

• cole

yup. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Mine gradually becomes almost like a blind spot, at the lower half of my eyes.

And then sometimes I will get a full blown migraine headache, sometimes to the point where I can't sleep, eat, or function.

Then other times, there is almost no headache at all. That's when the blurry spots are the worst it seem like.

i actually went to my eye dr. once, because I thought something was going on with my eyes! and everything turned out normal.

Source(s): Migrains suck! But luckily I only get them a few times a year.
  • Nadia

suffer visual distortions premigraine headaches

• Bub

Classic migraine precursors. Talk to your Doc, I believe migraines are small strokes. Peace.

I get the same thing. I think its fairly normal. The left side of my face goes numb as well.