Question about CF bulbs?

If you are lighting a room that has a thermostat, why is it better to have CF bulbs than incandescent? I know they say that CF bulbs are more efficient, but that means that they are more efficient at producing light ( the rest is converted into heat no?) So then why is it better to have CF bulbs? Incandescent bulbs are like mini heaters that produce light. The house would heat up faster and the thermostat would turn off faster since the house must be heated anyway...

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

It is not as much about efficiency as about the money. CF bulbs are more expensive so they give more money to their distributors. See where money go you will find the answer.

Other then that I would say you not getting any efficiency from them, besides wasting your money.

Source(s): I used them for a year and finally had to come back to convenient regular bulbs. CF bulbs are dimmer and bad for you eyes.

Yes but that heat is not very radiant..the incandescent bulb. Move your hand 2 or 3 inches from the bulb and you will feel very little heat, if any heat at all. Plus heat rises and the chances are that the light bulb is on the ceiling and the thermostat is about 5 feet off the ground. You would need a whole lot of incandescent bulbs to have any effect on the temperature of the house, chances are that your TV and computer throw more heat into the air.

Dont Forget you get what you pay for, if you buy a cheap CF and don't expect it to be bright or become bright instantly. Look for the ratio on the box also...it`ll say 14 watt compared to a 60watt incandescent.

The heat produced from a regular lightbulb is not enough to heat your home. You would need a lot more lightbulbs. The first part of the first person to answer was correct.

Why is better to have CFL bulbs?

They last for 7 years, on average, no joke! You would have to buy 4 to 6 regular bulbs to last that long. So you produce less waste ans save money.

They let off the same lumens yet use a lot less energy. They will save you hundreds of dollars. I am saving $150/ year because I changed all of my lightbulb to CFL. I spent less than $30 on bulbs.

CFL lightblbs are practical, they do not hurt your eyes. They save you money.

Compact fluorescent light bulbs, right now, are more " eco-wise" then anything else most consumers can get a hold of (ie. incandescent) & currently save over 2000 times their own weight in greenhouse gases.

But since ALL buildings & dwellings on The Ranch are completely on solar / wind & we REALLY need to watch usage, every light is fitted with screw type (typical 110v lamp socket style) LED bulbs. They emit the same luminosity (typically 45w) but at only 1watt rather then a 45w incandescent or 10w CFL. However they usually cost twice as much as CFLs which is twice as much (or more) as incandescent. Still LEDs would be the way to go by far.

Unfortunately CFLs contain Mercury which is VERY bad for the environment, so make sure that you do recycle them properly when they burn out.

Hope this helped, feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions if you’d like assistance in making your first self sufficient steps, I’m willing to walk you step by step threw the process. I’ve written several how-to DIY guides available at www agua-luna com on the subject. I also offer online & on-site workshops, seminars & internships to help others help the environment.

Dan Martin

Alterative Energy / Sustainable Consultant, Living 100% on Alternative & Author of How One Simple Yet Incredibly Powerful Resource Is Transforming The Lives of Regular People From All Over The World... Instantly Elevating Their Income & Lowering Their Debt, While Saving The Environment by Using FREE ENERGY... All With Just One Click of A Mouse...For more info Visit:

www AGUA-LUNA com

Good question. There is more to it than the efficiency of using electricity to create light as opposed to heat. First of all, generating electricity and then transmitting it over long distances by wire is a much less efficient use of energy than running your furnace on, hopefully, gas. Secondly, depending on the location of the light bulb, a significant amount of the heat generated may not be helping to heat the room. Thirdly, unless you live in Antarctica, much of the time that you want light, you do not need the heat.

1. Compared to using gas, oil, or a heat pump, electrical resistive heating (like a light bulb) is usually more expensive. So while you may be producing heat that you could use anyway, it is usually going to cost you more to produce than your usual method of heating would.

2. Light bulbs are often located at the ceiling, on walls, or other places where the heat produced isn't terribly useful.

3. When it changes from heating season to A/C season you have to pay extra to remove that additional heat.

You raise a good point.

Since energy is never lost, just changed, incandescent lights are by definition not wasting energy at all.

I don't mind using CF lights, I just don't like being forced to use them.

In the US we don't like our freedoms taken away, but they'll be going away much faster starting next year. I guess we can quit trying to hold on to this silly concept known as freedom.

That argument works well for the winter, but the opposite would be true for summer, you would be heating up the room where the thermostat is located and it would be switching on more often. It is best not to have a heat source or a breeze near the thermostat so it can get an accurate read of the temperature.