Is it ok to use 2 master links on a motorcycle chain.?

I accidentally removed 1 too many links on my motorcycle chain. Is it ok to use several master links? Can I rivet a section that I removed back on somehow? Do I need to just by a new chain?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You could but i wouldnt.

The price of a new Chain 'vs' price of your life or walking ability.

No contest im affraid. Its just not worth it. You would be better off with a cheap taiwanese chain than one with multiple masters.

Be safe!

Oh and to all those giving the thumbs down, obviously 12 years setting up and dyno running BSB / WSB machines isnt good enough for you all.

Source(s): Motorcycle dyno company - South east UK
  • daies
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Links Motorcycle

• Edith
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

On chains the first number designates the pitch or distance between the teeth and the last 1 or 2 numbers designates the width. In your case, you could use a 530 master link since it will be just a bit wider but you cannot use a 50 or 520 master link.

• 1 decade ago

If one of the master links were of the rivet type, the chain should be OK.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Two master links is a temporary fix. If you have on of those high power racer play replica no you would not want at all. If your riding a low power bike and are very very careful you might get away with it till it stretches enough to use one. No guarantee but it might work. I have done it but if you would feel unsafe then do not do it.

• mn
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

yes use 2 split links.. the chain will stretch & you will be able to take one out in a month or so..

• G B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I would do it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. Also, be aware that there are permanent types of master links that "swedge" on (IE you'll need a swedge tool properly do it). Go to your local bike shop with your chain and ask them to install one for you. They are no more expensive than clip type

Source(s): Bike mechanic since 1980
  • (A)
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes two will work.

Source(s): DE
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have done that before no problem

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.