Joe S asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

What does it mean when there are a lot of small bets for one team and few large bets for another?

I am just beginning to learn sports betting and am wondering how to analyze this. If 98% of people are betting on one side of the spread, but for less total money than the other 2%, which side is favored?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Doesn't mean anything. Either side could be the favorite, even though that's obviously an exaggerated example.

    They try to set it up so that there is an equal amount of money being bet on both sides of the spread. In that case, they might move the line more toward the 2% side to get more money on the other side, but that doesn't mean one side is "favored" in betting terms.

    In dictionary terms, the 98% is "favored" by the bettors, since more people bet on them, but that's not really what you are looking for.

  • 1 decade ago

    1

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    bookie don't care 1 guy bets a hundred bucks another hundred guys bet one dollar. bookie collect 10% juice....winner wins a hundred and get back the juice...loser or losers are out $110.00 bookie keeps the vig. in the real world it's just a matter of zeros

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.