Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

In the transfiguration of Jesus; Why were Moses and Elijah involved? ?

Please; only serious students of the Bible Answer

Favorite Answer

No, it was not by turning aside to follow artfully contrived false stories that we acquainted you with the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but it was by having become eyewitnesses of his magnificence.”—2 Pet. 1:16, NW.

Before ascending the mountain, Jesus and his disciples were in the vicinity of Caesarea Philippi. Since this city was about 15 miles [25 km] southwest of Mount Hermon, the transfiguration may have occurred on one of its lofty spurs.

While walking to the “lofty mountain,” Jesus asked his disciples: “Who are men saying that I am?” They responded: “John the Baptist, and others, Elijah, still others, One of the prophets.” Then Christ asked: “You, though, who do you say I am?” Peter replied: “You are the Christ.” At that, Jesus “strictly charged them not to tell anyone about him. Also, he started teaching them that the Son of man must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by the older men and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and rise three days later.”—Mark 8:27-31.

Jesus went on to make this promise: “There are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the kingdom of God already come in power.” (Mark 9:1; Matthew 16:28) This promise was fulfilled “six days later,” when Jesus was praying and was transfigured before Peter, James, and John. Luke says this occurred “eight days” thereafter, apparently because he included the day of the promise and that of the fulfillment.—Matthew 17:1, 2; Mark 9:2; Luke 9:28.

Source(s): Prayer and Bible study

I'm not exactly sure what scripture passage you are referencing. But I do know that transfiguration takes place so that fallen mortals can stand in the presence of God. There are instances where Moses is transfigured and Elijah is transfigured. Jesus is perfect. He doesn't need to be transfigured. If you had a scriptural reference though, I would like to read it.

Oh, I get it. Thank you elyon

• Jex

Moses represents the law, Elijah represents the Prophets.

As it is written in Matthew 5:17, Jesus will not abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill them.

A†Ω™

Jesus is the Messiah of which Elijah prophesied, and Moses represents the Old Covenant, which Jesus came to overturn. They were involved to signify that prophesy had been fulfilled, and that it was time for a New Covenant.

Elijah represented the prophets, Moses represented the law. By both of them being there they were bearing witness to the divinity of Christ (i.e. two or three witnesses per the OT) and that both aspects of the OT coincided with Jesus as Messiah.

• elyon

NIA....how can we send you the scripture reference if you do not receive e-mail.

Anyway....Matthew 17:1-3

And regarding the question, I usually go to blueletterbible.org and type in the verses and then use the commentary feature to learn more when I have an interpretation question like this.