Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

What do feminists think of this attempt to ban tomboys?

Favorite Answer

I am not a modern Feminist and I do not understand their minds but I think these hardcore Islamic laws which attempt to use secular law to infringe on people's rights to behave in otherwise harmless ways is absurd.

I was and still am a tomboy. I will not wear a dress or high heels. I don't think this makes me less of a woman. I am not a lesbian either or ever had any desire to be with a woman. I don't know why people think that a tomboy=lesbian. To the question at hand, religion has a way of making people think some strange things sometimes, especially the fundamentalists. I think they should be banned from giving an opinion about anything.

I was a tomboy for most of my life. I didn't wear a skirt or a dress for over 10 years at one point. My mother used to beg me to wear a dress, or at least a skirt, when we were going to weddings, but I just refused. Then all of a sudden I think I got hit over the head with something and now I wear skirts/dress all the time, high heels, I love makeup, the color pink and all things feminine and girly.

I'm not a feminist, but I think that's silly. Isn't it also contradictory in some ways? Men are less likely to look at women if they're dressed like a tomboy or man-ish. Next thing they're going to ban is clothing that is too feminine and eye catching, because men are distracted by it. Malaysia is straddling a fence here. In some Islamic cultures in the past men and women wore very similar types of clothes... I think there is a quote that goes something like this: "They are clothing for you and you are clothing for them"

• Kit

You cannot ban someone's way of feeling, ban how they behave in public I guess to some extend. I am saddened by this since it reveals we still have not learned the most essential part in all of this, namely to accept each other no matter what we prefer or dress as or like or feel like or look. What does it matter if I flutter about in a pink skirt with lavender ribbons in my long flowing hair or run around with a baseball cap and jeans with oil stains? I might be able to talk to a guy who is into cars and racing or bikes and have a wonderful relationship without being a lesbian or feminist or whatnot. As for the flouncy skirt, if I love it I wear it and feel wonderful while in it. Who cares and who should care? Being feminist does not mean one has to be gay, being gay does not mean one has to run around in what they term "butch" attire. Accept differences for heaven's sake and celebrate them for if we did not have them how boring life would be.

• Lúta

Feminist opinions or any other opinion doesn't matter when it comes to Islamic belief.

When it comes to gender behaviour, trying to get people to be other than how they naturally are is a waste of time. The taliban (or whoever) are stupid for trying to outlaw tomboyism, which a perfectly natural and harmless behaviour.

However its very ironic that feminists complain about this, because they have their own fundamentalist idea of gender - that gender is culturally defined. This is why they encourage androgyny in people (i.e. encourage unfeminine women and unmasculine men). In other words they are trying to force many men and women into roles that are not natural for them e.g. discouraging women to be SAHMs because "Being a housewife is an illegitimate profession... being a family-maker is a choice that shouldn't be". Vivian Gornick, The Daily Illini (Urbana), 25 April 1981. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Gornick

I say to hell with all the fundamentalists who try to tell us how we should express ourselves.

I tend not to take seriously anything hardline religious extremists want to ban. I don't think you're going to find many feminists agreeing with the actions of religious zealots who believe women are second-class citizens.

Raymond...sounds like somebody failed to get into the pants of a girl who is a feminist. Doesn't make her a lesbian, Darling...she just doesn't like you.

I'm disgusted, obviously, but that's living under religious fundamentalism for you. No amount of disgust on our part will change that unless we take some action.

They see feminism as the gateway to the kind of hedonism and depravity that we tend to enjoy.

Kuala Lumpur - they have big signs in the airport

DRUGS = DEATH (as in sentence, any amount)

I've found that feminists are perfectly fine with this sort of thing, even when it's transplanted to the west. They reserve their ire for western institutions and western men who've been bending over backwards to please them for over a century.