Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Vegetarian recipes ?

I'm trying to come up with a good side dish to bring to Thanksgiving dinner-- one that I can eat because I'm the only vegetarian in the family, but also one that my family can enjoy. Really the only thing I can think of so far is green bean casserole and mashed potatoes.

Any other ideas??

• Yes I was thinking greenbean casserole, but when I make it I fry an onion in olive oil and then add them to the green beans, the cream of mushroom soup and the french fried onions on top. Its always a hit because I also add garlic powder.

Go to vegweb.com they have many great vegetarian recipes

Sweet Potato or Carrot Souffle

use 2 packs baby carrots or 6 sweet potatoes peeled

boil whichever you choose until soft and drain the water then mash

add 1 1/2 cups sugar or less use regular sugar and brown sugar

add 1/2 tsp of vanilla. a few good shakes of cinnamon, a little nutmeg, 1/4 c flour, 1/2 cup milk reg or soy, if you are not vegan add 2 eggs or use egg replacer, mix well place in greased pyrex baking dish bake at 350 for twenty minutes

topping

1 cup pecans broken into pieces

1/2-1 stick margarine melted

1 cup of brown sugar

cinnamon and nutmeg a few shakes

1/3 cup flour

mix together pour on top bake for 30 minutes

Another recipe

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2-3 packs burger.style crumbles

11 green bell peppers

1 large onion (white, yellow, or Vidalia)

5-6 toes of garlic or more to taste

1/4 - 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth

1/2 cup bread crumb

Tony Chachere's seasoning to taste or salt and pepper/cayenne pepper to taste

olive oil

Topping:

1 stick melted margarine

20 teaspoons bread crumb

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Boil ten bell peppers in water until they are soft but not mushy.

Meanwhile chop onion, 1 remaining bell pepper, and garlic. Saute in olive oil until transparent and no longer hard.

Add crumbles and cook on low heat just until hot. Add Tony Chachers and or other seasoning to taste (I prefer Tony's and cayenne pepper). Add water or vegetable broth along with bread crumbs to make a mushy consistency. I usually do not measure the water and bread crumbs…I just add until I get the right consistency. Set aside.

Cut peppers in half, de-seed and stuff the peppers. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle each stuffed pepper with bread crumbs then top with melted margarine.

Bake in oven at 350 for 30 to 45 mins until bread crumbs have browned. If peppers are too firm, place a little water in the bottom of the pan, cover with foil and bake 30-45 minutes; then uncover and bake another 10 to 15 minutes.

What about squash casserole? I love it...

Something with carrots?

Sweet potatoes?

Your options are wide open to everything except turkey - so any side dish you would typically make as a vegetarian for your own meals should be great!